Trying To Learn More About My Kai Gunto

atwill

So I bought this at a pawn shop not that long ago. My original plan was to use it for sword training, but I have since found what I think is a more suitable sword for that.

I am a complete beginner here. I have spent hours online trying to learn.

I posted the mei in the translation section and you wonderful people came up with Miike Ju Yukimitsu, a Showa period maker.

I am trying to gain opinions on wether this is indeed masame hada?

Also if it is folded steel is that considered traditional sword making? Or is there quite a bit more to that?

Any and all information is welcomed.

post-4441-0-14904900-1520812587_thumb.jpeg

post-4441-0-64291200-1520812657_thumb.jpeg

post-4441-0-62830400-1520812670_thumb.jpeg

post-4441-0-00814000-1520812707_thumb.jpeg

To me it looks more like marks from someone sanding it down, hada is usually random and wavy as opposed to straight lines. Having a look at the the nakago you posted, it is very nicely cut with well engraved mei. I can't see any arsenal stamps either so there is a chance of it being traditionally made.

As others have indicated, your sword has been attacked with sandpaper.  Unlike the relatively soft grits of Japanese stones, western style sandpaper utilizes a very hard grit that burnishes the metal as it cuts, thereby hiding all the underlying hada (grain) and hataraki (activity), if any.  Even worse in your case, the sandpaper bandit rounded off the shinogi (mid-blade ridge line), the easiest and most costly mistake to be made in trespassing where angels fear to tread.  This is because a very large amount of metal must be removed to bring the shinogi back to the original sharp angle, possibly much more than would be necessary just to remove the residual pitting. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..