Prewar70

Hi James,

Reading from right to left:

1st column - Paper number: 309

2nd - Meibun - suriage mumei

3rd - Forging pattern - mokume

4th - Hamon - Gonome

5th - Boshi - notare komi

6th - Nakago - 2 mekugi ana - Yasurimei - I'm struggling with this bit - sorry.

7th - Comments - Owari Seki, around Kanbun.

Best,

John

Hi James,

The school is Owari Seki and the Kanbun period started in 1661. So it puts it in the province of Owari around the middle of the 17th century.

It's not attributed to a particular smith, though that there are six seals on the paper suggests that there weren't too many doubts amongst the shinsa panel about the attribution if that helps.

There's some info on smiths working in Owari on Shoshin's website:

http://www.sho-shin.com/shinto-owari.html

Best,

John

• Like 1

Piers that is great so there is a specific smith attribution. Now, I can't find anything out there on no Kami Masakane. I checked Hawleys and Fujishiro. I didn't see any references on the net searching no Kami Masakane.

• Like 1

"Bungo-no-Kami" is just a fancy title, a grand-sounding fashion that swordsmiths used prolifically in the mid-Edo Period.

Focus on 正全 and only use the title if you need to narrow the field, although the same smith would have produced swords even before starting to use one or more titles during his/her working life.

Edit, my mistake; the last character was 全 and not 金. I am not sure how he liked to have his name read, but a quick check should tell you.

PS Just found it, 'Masayasu' 正全

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..