Military Blades In Naval Mountings?

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, it may sound daft but if you don't ask you won't know... so here goes:

1. Is it possible to find swords by smith's who made blades for the army inside naval mountings and would that be an indication of a "put together" sword?

2. Did certain smiths make blades for just the army or just the navy or were blades made for the whole military who then distributed them?

The reason I'm asking is because I saw a naval kai gunto for sale but it had a seki stamp on. Also, I presume if it is a gendaito that does not have a seki stamp then it would be quite possible for the owner to have gone to a smith who was contracted by the army and request that a blade be made for him on consignment for his kai hunto?

I appreciate your time and please share your thoughts. 

I have Kai Gunto with a Seki stamped Showato purchased from a fellow forum member. There are uncommon because Kai Gunto chiefly used swords utilizing stainless steel properties, thus you will find the majority are made by Naval arsenals. There was also a strange and fierce rivalry between the two forces, which no doubt contributed to the detriment of the war effort, and I suppose that might play a small part in the discrepancy in military arsenal blades.

To answer your first question directly; yes, it is certainly possible, but uncommon. Put togethers are another story that require careful Kantei.

• Like 1

Strewth, here goes some.   Yasukuni blades have been found in navy mounts.   I, personally, have not seen a Star stamp (RJT) in Navy mounts,  nor have I seen a Minatogawa sword in army mounts.  Anti-rust steel swords (Generally assc. with the navy) Have been found in Army mounts.   Rikugun Jumei Tosho,  made swords exclusively for the Army and I believe Kaigun tosho, made exclusively for the Navy.  But with Japanese swords, always expect the unexpected.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..