Assistance Needed With Mei

Higo-san

Dear all,

a fellow collector bought a showato at an auction yesterday. He is now eager to translate the mei and asked me for a little assistance.

I have already figured out that the blade was made in July 1943 and the first Kanji of the smith‘s name is obviously Mune (宗). However, the online swordsmith database does not contain a smith who signed Mune in combination with that second kanji and who was active in Showa period.

Maybe someone can help with the Mei and provide a little background on the smith.

Many thanks,

Chris

post-2242-0-72729600-1520061302_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like 'Munetoshi' for me.

Is it star stamped Chris?

If Munetoshi is correct, smith name was Yamakami Wakakichi *1902 (Student of Shigetsugu)

Munetoshi was his first mei. Later he signed with Hidemune.

He made medium to high grade gendaito rated with 1 Mio Yen.

He is listed in the toko taikan under TK 524

I had a notice in my sheets that his brother was Akihisa (jojo saku)

• Like 2

Fine Chris.

George Trotter wrotes 2014  " I find that I have recorded two mei for him...he used one "Toshi" in civilian gunto sword signing (see oshi pic) and carried it over into RJT sword signing in 1943, but part way through 1943 he started to use a different "Toshi" exclusively for RJT gunto (see pic)."

Maybe yours is for a army civillian employee. Like a Doctor or some higher person in the backoffice. 

• Like 2

Thank you all - now that I have a name, I have realized that there is already plenty of info on Munetoshi and the variations in his mei on the board (e.g. http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/8546-survey-of-gunto-contract-numbers/).Therefore, no further info needed from my side - thank you all!

Best,

Chris

• Like 2

Hi,

From Markus book:

HIDEMUNE (秀宗), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Niigata – “Etsu Futada Saburō Minamoto Nyūdō Hidemune” (越二田三郎源入道秀宗), “Munetoshi” (宗利), “Etsu Futada-jū Torideyama Gen´yū Munetoshi” (越二田住砦山玄雄宗利), “Niigata Kariwa-gun Nishiyama-eki Yamagami Munetoshi” (新潟刈羽郡西山駅山上宗利), real name Yamagami Wakayoshi (山上若吉), born December 27th 1902, he studied under Kasama Shigetsugu and changed his name later from Munetoshi (宗利) to Hidemune (秀宗), rikugun-jumei-tōshō, jōkō no retsu (Akihide) under the name Munetoshi (see picture right)

post-683-0-09413000-1520266447_thumb.jpg

And from John S. Sloughs book (Modern Japanese Swordsmith 1868-1945)

post-683-0-12311300-1520266403_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..