Fs: Kanezane Tachi Early Muromachi, Nbthk. Full Mei

Daso

Hello All,

I'm reluctantly offering for sale my Kanezane Tachi due to some unexpected medical bills. A great old Tachi with Mei. Description below from Nihonto Antiques where it was originally sold.

KANEZANE Tachi (Long sword)

(Yamato) Kanezane (fss-248)

Mei: Kanezane Date: Early Muromachi

Nagasa : 28 3/4 "

Sori: 21 mm

Width at the ha-machi: 27.5 mm

Width at the yokote: 19.1 mm

Thickness at the mune-machi: 5.8 mm

Construction: shinogi-zukuri

Mune: iori

Nakago: suriage with original mei

Kitae: exquisite Masame

Hamon: hoso sugu-ba

Boshi: yakitsume

Condition: excellent in fresh polish, habaki and shirasaya

Hawleys:

kan 295 or kan 296

This is a beautiful example of a Yamato Tachi. The papers from the NBTHK list it as an early Muromachi TACHI not a katana. The shape is elegant and this sword has no flaws for such an old Tachi. The hamon is a typical hoso sugu-ba made in the Yamato tradition of sword making showing some very nice hataraki in it. The really exceptional beauty of this sword lies in the hada. It is masame running elegantly up and down this fine sword. The hada is also very silky and is very clear. Overall a fine Yamato blade with an existing TACHI signature. Please note there is a kirikomi (mark from a sword block) in Mune as pictured. This does not take away from the blades value when being judged and adds a dimension of reality that this sword saved it's owners life at one point. Contact me for many more photos.

Fujishiro:

Fujishiro list these two smith in the early Muromachi era.

KANEZANE TEGAI [EIKY� 1429 YAMATO] CH�KOT� CH�J�SAKU

Said to be the son of Kanenaga and a pupil of Kaneyoshi, he flourished along with Kanesada. His works are mostly tant�, some with shirake utsuri, and there are narrow suguba with sunanagashi mixed in, or ko‑ashi iri.

Signature: KANEZANE

KANEZANE TEGAI [MEI� 1492 YAMATO] SUEKOT� J�SAKU

Son of Tegai Kanezane of around Kansh�, he was also called Fujiwara Kanezane. His works are mostly tant�, hamon is suguba, gonome midare, and there are also hitatsura.

Signature: KANEZANE

Asking $5,000 ORBO + Ship + PP fees or friends and family. Email me if you would like additional photos.

post-3622-0-48643600-1519839599_thumb.jpg

Archived