Can you fix a nakago ?

Thekirsh

I have just purchased a sword to which the previous owner had

"removed all that nasty rust from the tang with special chemicals"

I was wondering is there a way to darken the nakago,even a little?

Is it ever done professionally?

And finally does it really matter on an average blade valued at less

than $ 1000?

Interested to hear your comments

Thanks Simon

Simon,

Professional repatination of the nakago is often done by qualified people. I am sure someone will provide you with some links. It is done when a nakago has been cleaned such as yours has, or after a gimei is removed. I think a lot of sword polishers offer it as a service, but it can come with a hefty pricetag.

I don't think it is something you can attempt yourself. There are various (and some bizarre) formulas that do the rounds occasionally, but they are hard to come by, and can be risky. As to whether or not it is worth it, that depends on the sword in question. You would have to decide for yourself if it will enhance your sword, or if it is worth it. On a military gunto, maybe..maybe not. On an old sword then it is usually worth it if the sword is a nice example.

I would think that a decent job would easlily cost $500 to $1000, but the result is very good, and can sometimes not be easily detected. Some amateur jobs can be seen a mile away. Do not attempt to use any gun browning or bluing solution. This is a bad method that does not resemble an old patina in any way.

What sword is this?

Brian

I have patinated small bare spots on a nakago using an antique browning solution of the type used to brown muzzle loading firearms. It does provide a good rust color which on a gendai in other wise good condition, that is, crisp file marks, would work fine. It will not restore the kind of fine pitting, covered by ancient rust, found on older blades. Several applications are required, applied at the rate of about one a day. Four to five days should produce quite a decent color. At least the nakago would not look like it had just been "cleaned". Good luck, but as with anything related to nihonto, you might want to let someone who has done this before examine your sword and suggest how best to handle your specific problem.

Ed

Take this for what it is worth. If you are removing the mei to send to shinsa, then, you suspect the sword has some potential. If so, then it should be done professionally. If not, then why remove it at all. You know it is gimei and that should be sufficient. Old browning solutions are a way to force rust and would be a different patina, not bad looking to be sure but not exactly right either. Again if you see a potential to this sword then this as well should be done by the pro who removes the mei. Good luck if you try yourself, it is already damaged and if a small investment and not an uncommon example not a great loss but a loss just the same. John

By the way, about Nakago....

i found a yari auction with shortened nakago, and if i win it i'd like a smith putting an extension onto the thing.... to make it into a pole yari again

is that ever done?

are there known examples of shortened nakagos even with swords, which were lengthened by (contemporary) smiths??

KM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..