My First Sword.....maybe

Cajunsteve

I am new to this message board and collecting and have an opportunity to purchase an old sword from an elderly friend. He has owned it many years and know very little about it. I showed him how to remove the grip and he sent me photos. The sword measures 87.6 cm and the blade 69.85 cm, The Saya is wood and the sword mounts appear to be from the WWII era. I believe it has an old Tsuba(iron) and blade. The Habaki with nice cat scratch. There are no arsenal marks on the tang. The Mei was translated by Manuel on the NMB  as  左近将監藤原盛綱作 Sakon shogen Fujiwara Moritsuna saku. 

Thanks again Manuel! Grev. has been a big help and I have learned about the meaning of Sakon shogen and the Fujiwara name use. I looking for any information on the maker and general opinions on this sword. My apologies for the photos as the sword is  6 hours away and were provided to me by my elderly friend. Many thanks in advance for your inputs.....Steve

post-4384-0-83783500-1518723092_thumb.jpeg

post-4384-0-89921600-1518723107_thumb.jpeg

post-4384-0-50414100-1518723126_thumb.jpeg

post-4384-0-43602800-1518723140_thumb.jpeg

post-4384-0-44085700-1518723166_thumb.jpeg

post-4384-0-06073400-1518723179_thumb.jpeg

post-4384-0-90212500-1518723192_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

few more in index my guess its this guy

MORITSUNA (盛綱), Kan´ei (寛永, 1624-1644), Awa – “Moritsuna” (盛綱), “Ashū-jū Moritsuna saku” (阿州住 盛綱作), “Awa no Kuni-jū Sakon Shōgen Moritsuna saku” (阿波国住左近将監盛綱作), “Sakon Shōgen Moritsuna” (左近将監盛綱), chūjō-saku

500 is ok but not much more

• Like 1

Dear Steve,

Just to add some thoughts.  The sword was mounted and carried in WWII, the hilt and the hanging ring from the scabbard tell us this. This is of interest to military collectors but it's not much of a koshirae for a katana.  The sword may indeed be the man that Stephen suggest but we can only speculate at this stage.  What we cannot see is the condition of the blade, it is certainly out of polish, but we can't see if it has any flaws.  I have to admit that if I came across this for the $500 mentioned I would be reaching for my wallet pretty quick.  If nothing else it will give you somewhere to start research and will teach you a lot about Japanese swords.  (By the way, it seems to be signed on an unusual side of the tang, tachi mei, which is interesting and might help you pin it down to a specific smith).

If you do get it then please post some overall photographs of the whole blade and close ups of each section.

All the best.

• Like 3

Geraint, thank you for your insight. I have seen this sword about 4 years ago. I expected it was carried with the WWII mounts. The Tsuba and blade gave me the idea it was older. I will indeed try and purchase the sword, look forward to doing research and share detailed photos with the NMB. I appreciate the assistance/guidance from the members.....Steve

• 1 month later...

Well,  I picked up the sword late yesterday afternoon from my elderly friend.This was his fathers sword which was brought to the states just after the war. The sword wasn't a lot of money $500. Had a little time this morning and shot some photos, was not an easy task. My apologies to those photographers out there. I did have a little surprise, I removed the habaki and underneath I discovered mei on both sides. Any thoughts or opinions are much appreciated....Steven B.

988316116_o.jpg988316126_o.jpg988316099_o.jpg988316093_o.jpg988316138_o.jpg988316147_o.jpg988316170_o.jpg988316212_o.jpg988316207_o.jpg988316229_o.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know about it having been cut down.. Where is the other Mekugi ana then? ... Then if it were cut, what was the point? All the fittings would be in the same spot they were before as it all seems to line up the way most tsuka do. No pile of seppa as if the Machi was moved up. not a over sized habaki.  Am i missing something?

Well, do you see that big Ware right underneath the Habaki? I am pretty confident that the Machi has been mobed up to hide that flaw. I can not say for sure of some of the tang has also been cut offf but my gut feeling looking at how it ends says yes. The blade has probably just retained its original Mekugi Ana and has had a new Tsuka made. What we see now isn't the original Tsuka anyway so that would habe been easy. I am very sure that this is no Ubu Hamachi. Whenever you got a big flaw right covered up by the Habaki then it is prett save bet that you have had some altering of the Nakago, too.

post-2470-0-20530400-1522870340_thumb.jpg

I call that a rather bad ware ... covered up by a bonji ... it is like an old lady that has too much fancy make up ... 

I would like to keep on believing that we have a machi okuri here ... and some bonjis added as a cover up. Obviously someone took some effort to cover up the flaw the best he can. It is a great deal at 500 bucks ... but not a blade you would want to get polished.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..