When Heart Rate Leaps

Stephen

Hey, its still cheep right now for what it is - though I'm sure Pete's right and the final price will be in orbit

Total agreement here.

It took me many years to come by my two Hirata at this level, and both priced well above the current bid price.

Katana sized papered ones are as rare as unicorn horns.

A member here had sent me this link, and my reaction was it is a pleasure to see and will almost certainly go above my current wallet.

I had to talk myself out of bidding on it. Even then, I'll be watching it. Hirata just have an In Person jazzy gravitas that makes it hard to pass up.

• Like 1

I anticipated 500,000 to 750,000 for a Hirata like this with Tokubetsu Hozon papers.

A small sized one from Ito-san's books was available -unpapered- in Tampa for $4,500 abouts. Small n pretty, but small.

Ginza Choshuya has one up in their March mag right now. It is larger, but dull compared to the Yahoo! one.

It lacks some of the attributed I'd want to see in a nidai Hirata, with some maiming and a scratch or two. I would probably have thought it later Hirata than nidai.

They priced theirs at 300,000 yen and I suspect it is already gone.

I have the 2 examples that I want for now and totally satiated after recent Christmas find/purchase.

My intent was to watch this auction end this morning, but overslept on a beautiful Sunday morning.

At 400,000- I think I would have thrown in a bid or two.

My opinion is someone got a relative bargain.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Several years ago when I noticed this bidder overbidding on auctions I came up with the nickname, "wei bother" as this bidder has what amounts to unlimited funding so that if he wants something he just keeps on bidding until he wins.  I've only seen two times where he gave up but of course I haven't watched every auction he's bid on.  What I have now seen on many occasions after a couple years of his activity is that when he starts bidding, which is usually close to the end of the auction, and the other bidders see who is now bidding they just stop as they pretty much know it is a futile effort.  This is what I have come to call the 'wei effect'.  (lol)  This is probably what happened this morning.  I was busy with another auction so couldn't follow this one closely.  It really didn't matter anyway as the seller of this tsuba doesn't allow proxy bid systems into his auction so unless you have an account you were probably incapable of bidding anyway.  I'm not sure if this includes Buyee as they are aligned directly with Yahoo! Japan.  I need to look into that one day.

• Like 3

I expected, as I suspect Pete did, too, that this guy would walk away with this tsuba in the end.  Seems like these days, for pieces of superior quality/importance like this one, he nearly always does.  But I am surprised by the low winning bid: only about half of what I'd have thought.  Pete's supposition that other bidders give up when they see that this guy has entered the fray is probably accurate, and could explain why this didn't go higher.  Quite a collection he is putting together. 

Quite a collection he is putting together. 

I would say so.

I know you like Yamakichibei. They aren't my favorite cup of tea, but he picked up a beautiful one a while back, with TH papers.

That one stirred the heartrate a bit.

With the Hirata ended today, I cannot see who was the winner.

I didn't realize the seller did not accept Proxy bids. I would have found myself shut out of bidding on it.

Either the minimalistic style of the Hirata was not to his taste,

--or he won in part because others got shut out as I would have.

I would have had a hard time not bidding it up an extra +50,000 to +100,000 yen.

It wouldn't be the first time I had to live on the credit card until next payday.

Curran,

Oh yes, THAT Yamakichibei is burned into my memory!  A brilliant tsuba.  Same guy got that as won this Hikozo auction, yes.  He's had many other successes, too.  That Yamakichibei went for over a million yen, by the way...

Stephen, yes, it would be good to know who this guy is, though as you say, that won't help us outbid him at auction!  :laughing:

Curran wrote:

> It wouldn't be the first time I had to live on the credit card until next payday.

BROTHER!!!!  Join my club!!!  Every time I get to zero some other carrot is dangled in front of my nose.  Hopeless, just hopeless, that's what I am.  Then I read about WEI and his bottomless purse and I think its time this bottom feeder gave it away!!!

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..