Help With Info On Tanto

Marius G

Hello,

I just acquired the Tanto in the photos attached. It came with a NTHK certificate atributing it to Noshu Seki ju Kanefusa. However, the Noshu Seki ju Kanefusa is a whole lineage of sworsmiths spanning along a few hundreds of years. Is there any hint about which Kanefusa made this tanto?

Any other information about the shape or the hamon will be welcomed.

Regards,

Marius

post-3777-0-06770500-1518625540_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-57473500-1518625549_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-22661300-1518625557_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-44859500-1518625571_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-18295600-1518625588_thumb.jpg

The era they think the smith worked in is listed in the first column on the sheet with the photograph. Right next to the stamps of the shinsa members. It's written rather neatly and by consulting a table of dates I think you will have little difficulty finding the approximate year. I could give you the answer, but by solving the problem yourself, you will have learned something you can use in the future.

• Like 2

hello ed, just looking at your blade it must be an earlier Kanefusa, Straight if the top of my head the first ones are working from around the early 16th century and the first and second generations are ranked the highest. Your blade - from teh small provided images did not looky typical Kanefusa at first glance but again near impossible to tell much from these small images. The blade seems to have seen quite a few polishes. It is probably the Shodei or Nidei ... I'd be happy to see more detailed images of the blade

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..