Red Kaigunto?

Peter Bleed

I went to look at the swords and...

The koshirae are certainly original WWII era IJN fittings, but the blade is certainly Chinese "damascus". It was an easy assessment and certainly not collectible. This sword was a lot better than most of the Chinese fakes I have seen suggesting that they are getting better.  The take away lesson is that we have to be careful out there!

I thank you all.

Peter

How many kaigunto’s have You handled?

This one screams fake all over! It has all the chinese issues.

• Like 1

100% fake sword all over. Come on ,guys.

You could of course be right Thomas, but the picture is blurry and I've not seen the sword.

I admit it's more likely to be fake fittings on a fake blade, but Peter is the one who saw it, not me.

Oh I fully acknowledge you're the expert on this pattern too, so I'll concede it is as you say based on that. I collect 95s, not kai

While the overall quality on the fittings is "good" for a fake there are big red flags like the dull, sandblasted look of the brass, along with the colour of the fittings (looks like all the cheap chinese brass statues). The inexcusable ones are the trainwreck of a handle, and the horrific bohi.

I'm assigning some of you homework: open up your reference books to the Naval Sword sections then pull up a nice chair to the corner and read it carefully :rotfl:

• Like 1

Peter are the fittings silver plated? They looks so on the pictures. If yes they are very collectable.

71407.jpg

Vajo,

You say this is very collectable - why, pray tell??  The whole thing looks like it has been done up, what with the new binding, blindingly white same, and seemingly dremelled kanji on the habaki.  Yet whilst the major pieces have been silver-plated the gilt and black seppa aren't monkeyed with and neither is the red copper O-seppa.  The closure to scabbard mouth is highly unusual and looks genuine original.  The silver plating has an age to it, but that's not hard to do, of course.  So in the words of the song - what's it all about???

Bestests,

BaZZa.

Vajo,

You say this is very collectable - why, pray tell??  The whole thing looks like it has been done up, what with the new binding, blindingly white same, and seemingly dremelled kanji on the habaki.  Yet whilst the major pieces have been silver-plated the gilt and black seppa aren't monkeyed with and neither is the red copper O-seppa.  The closure to scabbard mouth is highly unusual and looks genuine original.  The silver plating has an age to it, but that's not hard to do, of course.  So in the words of the song - what's it all about???

Bestests,

BaZZa.

Bazza, it's from Ohmuras website: http://ohmura-study.net/714.html

• Like 1

John,

Thanks mate.  So we have here an original Special Order Shingunto with Ikkansai Kunimori blade????  The koshirae is contemporary with the blade, I gather??  And the white binding???  I've just remembered somewhere in a discussion on the various quality grades of same that there is a "whiter than white" variety - is this it, and again is it contemporary with he blade???  I'm all at sea when it comes to such swords...

BaZZa.

BaZZa there are much more outside standard Gunto as we know. I bought a koshirae in Japan, its on the way and it looks very different and beautifull in my eyes but i will first proof it, before i post it on discussion here. It seems that many wartime swords and koshirae in Japan overlived the US swordban.

Btw: The Koshirae  from Ohmura's site is perfect an all aspects. No room for critic in my opinion. I was showing it without a link to the source because it stands for itself. 

How many kaigunto’s have You handled?

This one screams fake all over! It has all the chinese issues.

I currently have some kaigunto and in something like 50 years of collecting I have seen and handled lots more. I have also seen and handled lots of modern Chinese swords. To my eye the sword I asked about looked very suspicious and I called attention to obvious problems. Maybe I understated those problems and for emergent experts subtlety may not be effective.The fact that lots of people addressed my question suggests that it was worthy. And you may have noticed that several posters considered the sword worthy..

Your judgement of my knowledge seems harsh.

Peter

• Like 4

I know nothing about You Peter thats why I asked.

On original kaigunto’s the kabutogane, fuchi ,kuchigane ,ashi ,shibakiki and ishizuke was made by 2 sides solded together. Sakura was applied afterwards on kabutogane and ishizuke.

This way of making the fittings is not present in the fakes.

Chris , I remain pretty sceptical about the sword on Ohmuras site with the "silver" fittings . If the fittings are silver plated you would expect to see some wear on the plating yet there is none here . Perhaps they are solid silver but that seems unlikely. What appears to be recent binding only heightens my doubts . Ohmura certainly has some fantastic items on his site and if this is original it would of course be really unique .

Ian brooks

Chris , I remain pretty sceptical about the sword on Ohmuras site with the "silver" fittings . If the fittings are silver plated you would expect to see some wear on the plating yet there is none here . Perhaps they are solid silver but that seems unlikely. What appears to be recent binding only heightens my doubts . Ohmura certainly has some fantastic items on his site and if this is original it would of course be really unique .

Ian brooks

I've owned a gendaito with a solid silver habaki. They do exist.

• Like 1

Silver plated Bruce. Not pure silver. I read an article some month ago that many army civillian swords from higher ranked persons had silver plated fittings in army koshirae. I think it was in one of the military forums. The article was about a Japanese army hospital.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..