Red Kaigunto?

Peter Bleed

Nice silver plated fittings. And with that red saya it looks very good. The binding is different from a kai gunto and not correct. The same dont look original and the menukis are not in the right place. I think a correct restaurated tsuka would increase that sword very much.

Good sword Peter.

wow Peter, that handle looks bad! I might lean towards Stephen's view on this one! The saya looks mostly good, weak detail on the ashi, but the look is right. That tsuka though - sheeeesh! Menugi in wrong place, some sort of plastic wrap over a clearly fake same'. Bad ito wrapping job. At best, if the blade and tsuba are legit, someone has done a ametuer job rebuilding the tsuka.

On my little screen it all looks rather nice, bar the ito. If I was looking at the fitting quality I'd want better resolution. Everything is badly blured on even a slight zoom. Could just be the phone doing that...

A few more pictures would be nice before everyone starts to scream the usual “fake”.

Here's a Chinese copy for comparison:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/clay-tempened-Japanese-KAI-GUNTO-OFFICER-SWORD-WWII-katana-sword/112358345709?hash=item1a29144bed:g:VzIAAOSwSX9XA-fx

My knowledge is extremely limited, so what’s my 2p worth?

However, I have a design degree, so I like to think I have an eye for detail.....

To me, the floral work around the fuchi is off centre, looks wrong. Is this something a Japanese craftsman would have produced?

Tsuka is shocking, but could just be a very bad stab at a restoration?

I went to look at the swords and...

The koshirae are certainly original WWII era IJN fittings, but the blade is certainly Chinese "damascus". It was an easy assessment and certainly not collectible. This sword was a lot better than most of the Chinese fakes I have seen suggesting that they are getting better.  The take away lesson is that we have to be careful out there!

I thank you all.

Peter

• Like 4

I went to look at the swords and...

The koshirae are certainly original WWII era IJN fittings, but the blade is certainly Chinese "damascus". It was an easy assessment and certainly not collectible. This sword was a lot better than most of the Chinese fakes I have seen suggesting that they are getting better.  The take away lesson is that we have to be careful out there!

I thank you all.

Peter

And there you go, original fittings as half of us thought. No surprise there. I'm glad you got a look Peter.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..