Umetada Hikoichi? Really 一 Or 市?

Bugyotsuji

According to Francesco Marinelli's excellent study on the Umetada School, in Italian, Umetada Myoju's son Myoshin (Hikojiro) signed Hikoichi which could be written either 彦市 or 彦一.

http://www.intk-token.it/forum/index.php?showtopic=8584

Quote:

Vi riporto un mio libero articolo (work in progress) sulla scuola Umetada, fonti principali: ''Naunton Collection - Japanese Sword Fittings'' di Henri L. Joly del 1912, ''Japanese Art & Handicraft'' di Henri L. Joly e Kumasaku Tomita del 1915, ''Japanese Swordguad Artist'' Gary D. Murtha del 1982,  ''The Japanese toso-kinko Schools'' di Markus Sesko del 2012.

Umetada Miōshin (埋忠明真) o Myōshin (1615/24-1644/48?) il cui suo primo nome fu Hikoichi (彦一 o 彦市), viene indicato nello Shintō-bengi (新刀弁疑) come figlio di Miōju e col primo nome di Hikojirō (彦次郎), che è stato anche il primo nome ereditario della famiglia Umetada, mentre sul Nihontō Kōza viene riportato come il suo fratello più giovane. Lui era un sacerdote, portava il rango di hokkyō e firmava le sue spade come Ietaka (家隆). Anche lui viene menzionato nel Sōken Kishō come Shigeyoshi (重義)

Actually I do not read Italian, but studying Latin and French at school gives me enough information to understand quite a bit of that!

My question is whether there are any examples of either signature, and in which work mentioned above it is written that the two Kanji representations of Hikoichi above were interchangeable. I cannot find this information in Fujishiro, The Nihonto Meikan or any of the other reference books on my little shelf. I am aware that the Myochin crossed over the Toshin and Tosogu borders, which complicates the search a little.

All I can find is the common notation that Hikoichi, written 彦一 ,was one of the 'family/tribe' (一族), around Kanei 寛永 1624-45, or possibly 寛文 Kanbun 1661-73.

The puzzle that I am entertaining regards a Tanto signed Umetada Hikoichi, using the 市 kanji. Many thanks!

I think you should ask Markus Sesko, that part is took from his book, here's the english version:

"Myōshin´s first name was „Hikoichi“ (彦一 or 彦市). The sword publication „Shintō-bengi“ (新刀弁疑) lists Myōshin as the son of Myōju with the first name „Hikojirō“ (彦次郎), which was the hereditary first name of the Umetada family"

there's actually a Umetada Yoshinobu (from Sesko's swordsmiths list):
YOSHINOBU (吉信), 1st gen., Kan´ei (寛永, 1624-1644), Yamashiro – “Yamashiro no Kuni-jū Umetada Yoshinobu” (山城国住埋忠吉信), “Yamato no Daijō Yoshinobu” (大和大掾吉信), real name Umetada Hikobei (埋忠彦兵衛), he is also listed with the first name Hikoichi (彦市), he was the second son of Umetada Shigeyoshi (重義) and it is said that he studied under Umetada Myōju (埋忠明寿), he was first and foremost an excellent horimono artist and rarely forged own blades, the jigane is a dense ko-itame with ji-nie, the hamon is a gunome mixed with midare in ko-nie-deki with much nie and a wide nioiguchi, jō-saku
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..