Sword Stand Signature Or Mark

Curran

Over the past 20 years I've brought back 3 sword stands from Japan.

Having 2 wood workers in the family, I just buy those which appeal to me and the wood seems of a quality that woodworkers might approve.

My own knowledge is just above basic.

I assumed my katana one in the greatroom was late Edo or Meiji.

It was only when closely inspecting it did I find it signed and dated on the bottom.

Apparently I was off by about 150 years-  ....  Year of the Dog....1754

I was about to sell my tachi kake, and decided to flip it over.... just in case I made the same mistake as with my katana kake.

I assumed this tachi kake was Meiji or Showa. That feels about right to me, but then I know a lot less about wood that tsuba.

Nuts!!  It too seems to be signed or marked, but I don't recognize it.

Anyone have a clue what this marking might be, or where to possibly cross reference it?

post-44-0-76545100-1518467552_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-90799900-1518467559_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-33794500-1518467573_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the help.

国福 "Nation Good Fortune", as in a brand name?

I would never have thought the top part to be Kuni ( 国 )

Guido will come along and find this one a heckle of some sort, and show it is not a signature.

Haaaa! Looks more like a turned over cup and Spanish galleon. John

I like that description, but think the Netsuke boys and girls might have nailed it by suggesting:

四福 (Shifuku)

It would have been appropriate if this was a tachi kake in a kendo dojo of for a serious kendoist.

Again, I agree that I don't see it-

but I read at a level well below the 3 independent opinions coming from 3 different vectors.

If I understand the Confirmation Bias, does that apply here?

I'd rather see an artist signature, OR a Cups and Spanish Galleon [i appreciate the humor+intellectual stimulation of that] instead of a kendoist note.

It negates what I would like to see.

I followed the posts on the Netsuke Society lounge with interest. Quite a conundrum. I searched as well for artists with the name, no go, but, I like the motto idea for kendo. Kind of suggesting the cure for the four sicknesses; shikai; surprise, fear, doubt and hesitation. BTW, the cure is heijoshin 平常心 John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..