New book from the JSS/US

For the past few months I've been working to get a new book in English out to all of you. Just had a call from the printer; the books will be ready early next week, in time for me to drive them to the show in Chicago. We can't take mail orders yet; I have to ship some to Harry Watson and set a price for postage first. But in case some of you want a copy and know someone who will be at the show and can get you one, here's what we have.

Kyomono no Ko-Meisaku: The Early Famed Works of the Kyoto Smiths, by Yoshikawa Koen and the NTHK. First published in Japanese in 1980 in conjunction with an NTHK Annual Convention, translated by Gordon Robson, and published in English by the JSS/US. Paper perfect bound, 8 1/2 x 11", 142 pages on 100# gloss stock.

This is a very useful book; also great fun to look at and drool over. I can highly recommend it to you. The first 33 blades are important pieces from the Yamashiro tradition in Koto: Kiku Gyosaku, Awataguchi, Rai, Sanjo, Ayanokoji, and more, Imperial collection and National Treasure, really amazing pieces and ones that hadn't been published before. There follows 5 high end Kinko kodogu, and the last half of the book is 40 blades from the Osaka Kobe branch members display (Kiyomaro, Kotetsu, Naokatsu, etc). All of the swords are extensively described and discussed, with excellent oshigata, and the kodogu is presented in color.

The cost will be $65 for members of the JSS/US and $75 for non-members. You can join at the show and get the member price.

Once mail order becomes possible (mid April maybe) I'll post here to let you know. Come say hello if you're at the show.

Take care, Grey

Thank you very much Grey and the JSSUS !!

I look forward to the new book. This week I received the Sue-Koto 2-book set from the JSSUS and I am very happy with the books. I also received the Art and the Sword set and they are excellent as well. It is nice to be able to get quality Japanese sword reference book's with out spending a small fortune. I have been building my library up and these books are great references that are very resonable. I hope more people will take advantage of these books and join the JSSUS, it's an absolute bargain for all the information that you will receive.

Take care

Dino

Can only echo what Dino said. The more members..the more funds there are for worthwhile projects like this. Well done to Grey and the JSSUS. I will be eagerly awaiting the mail order sales, and will likely take a few copies for the collectors here.

Also just received Grey's Index of Japanese Sword Literature, and it is also a stunning work that is a must have in any sword library.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..