Need Help With Seppa And General Identification

Jam

Hi everyone, I pulled a complete noob move and bought this sword without knowing a thing about it, just went on gut and excitement.  It is missing some seppa and I wanted to try and buy some that would be correct for this sword, but I am not certain what type I should go with.  Also, is it advisable to do that, or would it be wrong to add in pieces that aren't original to this sword?  I am going to start working on trying to learn more about the specifics of this piece, but if anyone has any general comments and can give me some initial details I would love to know more.  Is this a type 98 shin gunto or something else  Lastly I am trying to figure out if there is any chance this scabbard is real, it is a really high gloss black paint, only one fitting.  From looking down the inside it does look old but I havent seen any other pictures of saya like this.  I will appreciate any help and guidance you can offer.

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg
writing.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg

The black-laquered saya and belt-loop (ashi) are made for a leather cover. The covers tended to take a beating and are often missing by the time we get them.

There is nothing wrong with adding a seppa or more, as long as they are WWII legit itmes. My dad's Mantetsu came with no seppa or tsuba! I bought some from a Japanese dealer on fleabay and it's now quite beautiful!!!

Blades were often refitted from civi to military and back. They often got replacement parts from repair teams throughout the war. Don't hesitate to find a suitable replacement.

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the replies and info. I really do appreciate it. I have also found a seemingly knowledgeable seller on eBay who says he has some seppa available for me to buy.

Thanks for the kanehide translation, And sorry for the postimage usage, I didn’t realize that was annoying, but you learn something everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to figure out what exactly is the black paint character at the bottom and what it signifies, not finding any thing, I'm probably looking in all the wrong places as usual.  Also, does this sword look like its worth the $650 I paid for it?  

I have been trying to figure out what exactly is the black paint character at the bottom and what it signifies, not finding any thing, I'm probably looking in all the wrong places as usual.  Also, does this sword look like its worth the $650 I paid for it?

They are factory assembly numbers "3 8" put on pieces to keep them together. Every piece is custom fitted to each blade. Getting them jumbled around with other blades' fittings would be a pain, so they put numbers on them to keep them together.

Price is normal, and like all collecting - if you like the item and feel good about what you paid, then it's a good price.

• Like 1

$650 is not bad at all, but you do have a sword on the lower end of desirability for collectors.

Hey Jam,

Just be mindful when you refit it with new seppa (washers), the seppa to the blade's side is a little larger than the ones facing the tang side. Here's a good website to give you an indication of the order of the different washers and their sizes:  http://ohmura-study.net/906.html

It's a fine sword to start you off with to learn the terminology and fittings of a gunto.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..