The Other Komonjo

If you look at the bidders, and the bid retractions over the past few months, there is more than just a little shilling going on there.
I can't even remember ever retracting a bid. Yet these guys have 20 or 25 bid retractions? :doubt:
The quagmire that is eBay.

• Like 2

i don't see another post about this (but didn't look very hard).

and i'm not maligning mike yamaguichi, though certainly you could make an argument that his sale of "grey market" gimei swords stretches ethical behavior.  i'm just starting another post about some odd looking swords on the market that appear to be similar to the ones mike sells, but are coming from another seller.

as for the topic at hand, I agree that this one is almost certainly a modern made blade with an artificially aged nakago and extra mekugi ana to make it appear as if old.

the ken currently listed by the same seller is another head scratcher.  suriage with signature, but he recently sold a very similar looking ken that was obviously modern.

in my opinion, that hamon is "all over the place," poorly formed, and ugly, but to each his own.

but the plot thickens... here's another seller who, like the topic of this thread, was selling a shinsakuto ken with a patinated nakago.  he claims his swords are located in rockville md, except when you click on his ebay membership page, it says he's in china.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Ken/292446327785?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49917%26meid%3D38b311f535ba4b1e927be6125d7091d7%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232651766892%26itm%3D292446327785&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

If they were honest and didnt age the nakago and try to decieve as old blades they could make sales with the martial arts guys. Well with a hamon that over enthusiastic atleast a lot of beginners will be suspicious, i hope. The colors of the steel and hamon remind me of 1095 steal knives i make with hamon and dip in nitric acid.

Greg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..