Unknown Item In Tis Set

Stephen

Items are in too good condition to be Teruhide (Eishu), all dots are there, kao is too sloppy. Most probably gimei, like the majority of "Teruhide" works out there.

Menuki are very nice but form somehow resembles Natsuo's waves menuki.

Some much later work is in front of us, I presume, but still a very nice set to own.

post-3892-0-93780300-1518101641_thumb.jpg

post-3892-0-82286400-1518101675_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I always expect gimei with Teruhide,

Yeah, looking at the signature without even opening the books- I think gimei.

Still, a beautiful set I wouldn't mind owning.

This brutal stock market selloff is making sure I won't be spending money any time soon. Oh well.

• Like 1

... why not use the old catchall phrase kanamono?

The seller does something like that, calling it 鞘飾り sayakazari, i.e. saya decoration. However, using the correct terminology enhances our understanding and knowledge of the subject of our studies - for those who care, that is.

• Like 4

I've seen a few certificated Teruhide fuchi/kashira waves in the London auctions over the years.  The waves have always been deeply and under cut.  These appear to be too flat and lack that 3-D effect.  Nice set, but I doubt that they are Teruhide works.

Regards, John

As an afterthought, I've attached pics of my Teruhide copies.  Unusually they are not signed Teruhide, but Matsushiate (never found out who he was).  Point is, that some of the Teruhide fuchi/kashira were dead ringers for this set, so gives a better idea of what I mean by 3-D

post-941-0-17056100-1518517980_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-21782800-1518518000_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-00792800-1518518018_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-84743700-1518518035_thumb.jpg

Unusually they are not signed Teruhide, but Matsushiate (never found out who he was).

John, your fk is signed "Shōkatei + kaō" (松下亭)
This name was used by various Goto artists (ruled out) and members of the Nakagami/Otsuki and Kazutsura schools.
Thus, I see few options here:
- it's one of the adopted sons or students, and there were quite a few, of Nakagami Motohiro (H 05869.0), who's go was "Shōkatei", since strokes and kao are put differently but quite close (see example of Motohiro signature)
post-3892-0-35635300-1518536056_thumb.jpg
- it's someone related to Ogawa Tomotsune (H 10154.0), who's go was also "Shōkatei" with a kao in "Nagatsune" style, see example
post-3892-0-10564000-1518537899_thumb.jpg
Btw, there is a theory that Tomotsune was himself a student of Motohiro since he signed "Shōkatei Motohiro".
- it's a collective image of a guy under H 08748.0 entry. His kao is different from others who signed "Shōkatei".

Personally, I choose Nakagami family...
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..