Fraud Help

All, I recently sold a sword to a potential buyer who is now filing a claim with paypal stating the sword does not match the description of the item, and that I misrepresented it. Im concerned he may be trying to defraud me of the payment for the item by sending me a different sword back in the returns process. Any advice?

It is now up to PayPal. One has to argue with them now. Good luck.

Then you have to wait and see what happens. Getting a different sword returned would be my least concern. If he wants to defraud you then he will not send you back anything but a nice brick at best ;)

Who knows, maybe he is just a picky buyer. You will then end up loosing a one way postage. That is still annoying but not a big deakl.

You will just have to wait and see what happens. As others said, best don't do PayPal if you want to avoid this kind of thing. But if you do then you have to live with their random decisions.

• Like 1

what's going on is that someone has initiated a retutn through paypal for whatever reasons and they will say in 99% of the cases that he is to return the item and get back his money. this has happened to any seller using paypal on more than one occasion  before and will continue. anything else is just speculation driven by fear until the sword does not arrive in oroginal condition

Pics, pics and more pics. The best proof I can think of. Good luck. John

Unfortunately, pics don't prove that you sent that sword. A buyer can argue that the sword he sent back is the one you delivered. Any transaction involves a lot of trust on both sides, leaving both sides open to scams.

• Like 1

Pics, pics and more pics. The best proof I can think of. Good luck. John

This is why I make videos of the swords. If there is any doubt for any reason. the video shows everything. Every little scratch.

I think you should do this first.

Check your pictures. Are they really accurate?

90% of the pics here (and elsewhere) really bad. Maybe the customer/buyer thinks you tricked him by bad photos?

If there is no doubt about the pictures and description of the goods, go ahead to the next step.

That is my recommendation.

• Like 2

@ Stephen: The dog has not even left teh building yet :) As long as there has no fraud happened yet I think it is just fear. There is also way too little information on the table. Who knows, maybe the buyer is just picky, maybe he is a fraud or bulletsprinkler just missed a Kizu by accident. A while ago I sold a blade which I have had for almost a decade to a board member. I was very fond of the blade and sent it as I usually do upfront, only asking payment after the receival. Guess what: The blade had a bend! I missed that despite having had the blade for such a long time. I was very embarrassed and felt ashamed. So either I would have taken the sword back for a full refund or offered a partial refund. The buyer liked the blade very much so I offered a partial refund and he has been very happy with his purchase. Did I misrepesent the swod? Yes I did! Due to mere stupidness and ignorance of my very own. So I stood up for my fault and everybody was happy afterwards. Mistakes happen.

Then one also has to keep in mind that people have become used to the attitude of ordering things and returning them for no reason. Ask any online shop owner. People order something, gets what they purchased but return it for no reason. Maybe it is that kind of buyer. We don't know.

All we know for nos is that there has (yet) been no fraud.

• Like 1

Plenty wrong with both eBay and Paypal.
You are in the UK Dave, eBay doesn't even deem you worthy of viewing half the stuff for sale. You get their cute little edited version of eBay. eBay Lite. No sharp or pointy stuff for you....you can't be trusted.
As for Paypal, they should stick to being a money substitute and stop trying to decide what we can use it for. If I want to buy something legal, why should I have to run it through their list of morally acceptable stuff that they think I may own. They get their damn fees, so shut up and take my money.
/rant.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..