Potter's Name

Henry Wilson

This can be tricky - some of my pieces have been easy to find info on, while others are ghosts.

This could possibly be your guy:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323056153578

Signature is about right but it's stamped, not carved. This one does come with a box and cloth though, which can be helpful when trying to line something up.

Thank you Evan for taking the time to search and post what you found. 

The piece I have is a boxed chaire (tea caddy).

post-14-0-17097400-1518065048_thumb.png

Comparing the inscriptions on the boxes they seemed to be done by very different people.  (Mine is on the left/ ebay on the right).

post-14-0-29220600-1518064592_thumb.png

Could it be that Heian Shoetsu is a generic name?  Or a difference between workshop produced items and that done by the head of the workshop I wonder?

Henry,

Have you tried reaching out to the Japanese pottery community, someone should have the information you seek. I did a web search and came up with the same things you already know but nothing as far as working dates.  He appears to be a studio potter who works(worked) in many styles.  BTW, your chaire is very handsome, is the lid ivory or bone?

-StevenK

Thanks you Steven

It never occurred to me to reach out to the potter community.  I don't know any potters. 

The lid material was described as 骨 which is bone.  However, I am not sure how a distinction could be made between bone and ivory by visual inspection only.

Also thanks for the compliment too.  It is indeed a very nice small object.  Here is a bonus picture of it in it's silk bag.

post-14-0-14010700-1518073462_thumb.png

• Like 1

Henry,

Briefly,

Ivory is translucent relative to bone.

Ivory is denser therefore heavier, relative to bone.

Ivory exhibits a pattern of fine lines ranging from parallel to crosshatched, bone does not.

Bone often exhibits a pattern of dark flecks ranging from dark brown to black, ivory never does

I could go on but this should be enough.

-StevenK

p.s.-good luck with making some new "potter friends", and hopes for a successful quest!

p.p.s. -"Schreger lines" can be extremely difficult to see on the finest grades(TOKATA) of asian elephant ivory so careful inspection is recommended.

• Like 2

Thank you Evan for taking the time to search and post what you found. 

The piece I have is a boxed chaire (tea caddy).

attachicon.gifchaire.png

Comparing the inscriptions on the boxes they seemed to be done by very different people.  (Mine is on the left/ ebay on the right).

attachicon.gifSignature Shoetsu.png

Could it be that Heian Shoetsu is a generic name?  Or a difference between workshop produced items and that done by the head of the workshop I wonder?

Henry,

Yes this is something I've run into on my own as well, but I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer for you!  Both a guinomi and kogo of mine have stamped kao's, but I've been able to track down other pieces by the (supposed) same artist with incised as well as stamped marks. 

From what I gathered, there are a few possibilities.  The difference between a workshop item and one made by the master (as you pointed out) is one, the artist changing his method over time is another, and I've also heard that some will "sign" in a different manner depending on the type of vessel (i.e., a chawan being hand signed vs a minor accessory being stamped) .  I also think what you say about a certain name just being generic or common is a definite possibility.  Unfortunately with no real resources for modern artists outside of what we can dig up online, I'm afraid we may be left to speculate in most cases.  But you may have better luck being in Japan and finding someone "in the know", so to speak. 

I think the best we can do is judge them on their own merits and consider it a bonus when we can actually connect the dots.  I've been able to confirm a couple of mine as being no doubters with perfectly matching boxes, signatures, paperwork etc, but my gut feeling is that this is an exception.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..