Ko-Tosho Or Tenpo?

svarsh

One thing that crossed my mind there Henry, again just a thought.

If someone went to the trouble of creating a modern tsuba to pass as a Ko Tosho, and took so much effort into making the patina look old, size and thickness, patina and remnant lacquer.

Just wondering why they would not choose a textbook simple sukashi?, like you would see in Sasano,s, and in the case of the dragonfly tsuba, make the sukashi lines look older.

Maybe I look too much into this. :laughing:

Alex,

a good SUKASHI TSUBA is a lot of work, while forging a TÔSHÔ plate is relatively easy, even when you forge it down to plausible dimensions. A SUKASHI TSUBA presents a lot of possibilities for the identificatioin of the tools and work used for its manufacture, so a copy is more easily detected.. Think also of TEKKOTSU which is still a secret not only to most forgers, but also to collectors.

Patination is more a question of knowledge and patience than of hard work. 

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

When I say "so much effort", I could have worded that better.

What I should have said is, if someone wanted to create a reproduction or fake (to fool others) of a Ko-Tosho, I think maybe there would be better choices for the sukashi design.

Just thoughts.

Some helpful hints in this thread, cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..