Meiji/taisho Arsenal Blades

PNSSHOGUN

Is there any conclusive document or knowledge available about this period of Arsenal blades commonly seen in combat versions of Kyu Gunto and other swords of this period? The only information I have found is on Murata-To, but the scope of that process is unknown as they are usually associated with the Kogasa-Maru style blades or signed blades made by General Murata himself.

I ask because some of these blades are a step above what we normally see in arsenal blades made during WW2, the one I have could be mistaken for Nihonto until looked at closely. The sword is tempered with etched hamon and NOT a parade style blade. I have seen a few other examples with similar quality and pattern blades so I wonder if other members here have Kyu Gunto with these Arsenal blades and have any further information at hand. One detail I have noted is very similar Horimono on all of these blades.

post-3926-0-67196600-1517568228_thumb.jpgpost-3926-0-75567900-1517568249_thumb.jpgpost-3926-0-47719900-1517568268_thumb.jpgpost-3926-0-69185000-1517568272_thumb.jpeg

Here's an almost identical blade but clearly handmade with real hamon: http://www.artswords.com/a_nice_katana_mounted_in_Imperial_Japanese_kyu_Gunto_Mounts_042508.htm

post-3926-0-69569100-1517568465_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

John,

After a brief perusal of Dawson's book, he has a couple of examples, one a Type 8 and the other a court blade, that have serious blades like yours. Both were custom made, but he seemed more focused on the fittings rather than the blade.

Fuller & Gregory state: "The blade was down to the owner's choice and may often be of some age, being reused from older samurai swords. Contemporary oil-temered or hand-forged gendaito can also be found but are in the tradtional shinogi-zukuri form."

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..