Mantetsu Sword Coming Up In Auction , Your Thought Please

matthew

you may ask yourself why would it have been remounted?

That is what interesting, isn’t Stephen!

The Mantetsu run the gamut on price. In good condition they tend to be at the higher end of officer gunto prices, $1,400-2,400 USD.

I have seen them go for $3,600 and higher. Poor ones have sold at bottom end like any other gunto.

some clown drilled a new hole so he/she can put it in to a set fittings that it would normally have been mounted inn.

alarm bells!!!

"dealers put it togeather" to cash in on the new high prices and interest IMHO

if you can see in hand, check the inside of the saya and tsuka for either glued in shims or rough file marks to see if its been altered. secondly when the blade is inn the saya, shake gentle from side to side to hear if the blade moves/rattles with in the saya, dead giveaway.

some clown drilled a new hole so he/she can put it in to a set fittings that it would normally have been mounted inn.

alarm bells!!!

"dealers put it togeather" to cash in on the new high prices and interest IMHO

if you can see in hand, check the inside of the saya and tsuka for either glued in shims or rough file marks to see if its been altered. secondly when the blade is inn the saya, shake gentle from side to side to hear if the blade moves/rattles with in the saya, dead giveaway.

mmmm thanks for your reply , I think I maybe give it a miss as it too far away to see it in hand , I only want something that is dead right ,cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..