Please Confirm...

Brian

Keep the comments coming.
What sticks out to me is the serial (looks engraved, not stamped, and spacing wrong)
Hi - looks wide and flat and shallow

Tsuka - Completely cleaned and polished?

Tsuba doesn't look bad. Arsenal stamps are iffy...but not terrible.
Need better pics, but this is all I have to go on for now.

I haven't looked at these for a very long time but the serial number stands out as looking very strange and atypical. Certainly don't remember seeing anything like it.

Seems strange to go to the trouble of putting the arsenal stamp on the tsuka and then using a totally alien methodology for the serial number which stands out like a sore thumb

Shamsy or Stegel are the go-to guys on Type 95s, and they may correct me on this - but there were NO Seki stamped 95s.

The tsuka has that course "sand-blased" look, polished to hide it.

Numbers are typed with cutting edge up, like a Nagoya Arsenal blade, but no arsenal stamp on the blade or fuchi.

Lousy seppa work. What is that inside the holes of the tsuba? It looks like wood!

Dot pattern on the face of the tsuba is wrong.

It would be good to see the blade tip, but I've seen enough.

A weak attempt at reproducion/fakery.

• Like 4

Poor example of a fake. Bruce has it covered but I'll repeat the obvious signs.

Serial font is wrong. There are many different styles, fonts, depths and spacing - that is not one

Lack of any paint on tsuka is usually a give away, as getting a good match seems to elude the repro guys

Lack of a sarute is also a potential sign. Repro rarely have the correct size and shape

Tsuba is sharp edged, not the correct shape at all

Those stamps. Dear God, size and location, quality of the stamp, fantasy stamps

The seppa has nipple like edges, not tiny cut-out teeth

Poorly cast tsuba

Incorrect size of bohi

Incorrect termination point of bohi

Zero patina in all the areas one would expect to see exhibiting age

Incorrect propotions of tsuba and not the correct shape

Incorrectly shaped habaki

The kissaki is undoubtedly terminating incorrectly and poorly defined

The materials of the fuchi and tsuba are obviously artificially aged

Colour of the saya isn't actually too bad.

The quality and finish of the blade itself. Machine made the 95 was, but they were very well finished swords. Look at the rough, bubbly texture; it screams cheap.

I think Bruce has the rest. Probably a few more but those stand out.

• Like 1

so many to list,

the Bohi is too squired at the edges,

the habaki dosent fit well or line up correctly with the tsuba

the WHOLE tsuba looks off. to pointy and sharp edges.

blade and numbers are funny

and the sori of the blade doesn't loo correct, almost like the tsuka would be pointing away from the back of the blade when in the saya

BUT, I cant really see or fault the  tsuka or saya yet. more pics

Thanks guys, very helpful. Will pass on to the owner. Better it comes from others since i think people here assume I am calling fake for some ulterior motive I am unaware of :-?
The lack of Japanese swords in SA means that people get easily taken here. Lost count of the number of fakes that people refuse to believe are not real. I see them in many shops and at shows. No please to really see real ones since most are sitting in the very few collections here like mine.
I suspect repros are coming from China, Pakistan, India and Spain currently.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, very helpful. Will pass on to the owner. Better it comes from others since i think people here assume I am calling fake for some ulterior motive I am unaware of :-?

The lack of Japanese swords in SA means that people get easily taken here. Lost count of the number of fakes that people refuse to believe are not real. I see them in many shops and at shows. No please to really see real ones since most are sitting in the very few collections here like mine.

I suspect repros are coming from China, Pakistan, India and Spain currently.

Steve (Shamsy) says the best ones are coming our of Poland. He showed some pics that, had he not told me it was a fake, I would have been fooled.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..