New Saotome Tsuba - Any Idea What The Sukashi Represents?

rkg

Hi,

Here's another Saotome tsuba I recently acquired.

The piece measures 77.5mm (H) X 75.8mm (W) X 4.70mm (T, seppa area), 5.84mm (T, mimi).

post-204-0-92169300-1517254646_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-62355400-1517254680_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-77501900-1517254823_thumb.jpg

I'm kind of stumped on the sukashi though - Does anybody have a guess as to what it represents?

There's some scratching on the front, but it appears to be under the patina, so its been there for (quite a) while.

I don't think its as old as or in as good a condition as my fan one (below), but I'm guessing this new one is from the late Muromachi to Momoyama period in any case

post-204-0-89805200-1517254910_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

rkg

(Richard George)

• 1 month later...

In case anybody's interested, here are a couple of 360 image sets of this piece - there's still a little gunk at about 7 o'clock on the front, but still...

http://www.rkgphotos.com/facebook_stuff/koto_bridge_saotome2/koto_bridge_saotome2_front/koto_bridge_saotome2_front.html

http://www.rkgphotos.com/facebook_stuff/koto_bridge_saotome2/koto_bridge_saotome2_back/koto_bridge_saotome2_back.html

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..