Any Ideas On School/maker Menuki

obiwanknabbe

They actually look a little better in hand.. could not get my old camera to focus cleanly.. they are actually darker and a bit sharper in detail.

So kyo-kinko.. may i ask what reasoning you put into that? What about them can be used as a determining factor.. Want to learn .

That’s the major problem with tosogu - always hard to take good pictures, everytime something’s wrong with color reproduction. And we have to explain how great it looks on our fingers

As I said, vague, practically any Kyoto based group, when it’s not signed and doesn’t have clear attributional factors like Goto, for example, we are talking about menuki. I wouldn’t rule out ko-kinko because of the stem but the details of the boar suggest some much later work. It’s hard to define precisely the school unless someone has seen similar item already attributed by someone. I judge from what I have in the collection and trust my intuition based on the residue in my memory of hundreds of pictures from different reference material I go through on everyday basis. I saw similar boar details in early Yasuchika works but I doubt it’s Tsuchiya line or any of the other two big Nara houses.

So just another opinion

• Like 1

thanks for the input.. I will have to seek out some books on the subject. if anyone has a recommendation id be happy to hear it.

For general “multibrand” tosogu reference I would suggest:

- Toso Soran by Torigoye

- Toso Kodogu Koza by Wakayama

- Toso Kodogu Meihin Shu by Wakayama

- Anything by Shigeo Fukushi

As to menuki stand-alone I would recommend:

- Shumi no Menuki by Wakayama and Takenouchi

- Tosogu no Bi, Menuki vol.1&2 by Saruta

Be prepared those books will cost more than the items they describe. Japanese books auctions is the right place to save some cash. Of course you can go for different auction and museum catalogues, but here I’m talking about serious academic approach.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..