New Wood Order For Tosogu Boxes

mareo1912

Hey you guys,

hope this is the right spot for it. I will be ordering new Paulownia and cedar soon for my tosogu boxes/cabinets.

You can see the work here http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/24547-my-finished-tosogu-closet/?do=findComment&comment=248512

The wood is very nice quality, very smooth and a bit more massive, yet light and that's why I like them over casual boxes. If you're interested in the wood or boxes, measurements can be done individually, please tell me so I just order a bit more for samples to send.

I'm far from being a master in wood work, but I think it's good enough and a good way to get individual sizes. Also it is really a joy to work with this kind of wood and I am happy to get better at it with every piece I make.

Kind regards,

Marco

• Like 1

What is wood price, is it hard to get, I would try to get some Japanese cedar

I would make a mahogany box, with 5 stages, like my actual tsuba box, but larger, and probably a specific stage for menuki, f/K etc, all stacked with a cord.
I have the mahogany, and some european white wood, all is antique, but if possible to use Japanese wood, kiri or sugi, could be interesting.

Size is 20x 30cm, one lumber to make the full width (no multi mumber),and about 5 of them.

I still have to design the box, but have an idea about how to make all fit together.

Patrice,

I suggest that you use Kiri wood as it has ideal qualities for the storage or tsuba. The use of old wood of unknown origin is not a good idea as its natural properties/processing/treatments.etc could be injurious to the items stored within. Also, the reuse of old tsuba boxs (particularly the fabric padded elements), can cause potential problems. Careless storage can do harm!

-StevenK

Hello to all of you

Just a little question since we are talking about the properties of wood related to tsuba storage. I was plannig to replace the lining of a tsuba box, I mean the part with the cloth lining and peg on which the tsuba is resting. Most of the boxes I have seen use wood that does not look like kiri at all. It generally looks like ply wood even in the most expensive boxes I have bought in Japan or from Namikawa Heibei online, the cheap boxes use even cardboard. Following you reasoning about qualities of kiri wood for tsuba storage also the wood to which the lining is attached should be kiri wood. Am I right? Or for this part plywood is ok?

Regards

Luca

To Patrice, I will PM you for further details

To Steven, absolutely right, you do not know the treatments the wood has gone through: oiling, etc. can have influence on the objects stored, reduce the amount of water the wood can bind and can increase the danger to catch dirt on box and items.

To Luca, The point that Steven meant (at least I think so, please correct me if I'm wrong) is the stability of the whole insert. It can scratch/damage the object if not done properly and if loose/overused. I make my boxes from good quality, only dried wood and the insert completely without metalparts such as nails to avoid damage in any case. PM to you.

Regards,
Marco

• Like 1

Luca,

The material used to construct the part of the box you reference is sealed on both sides (one by glue/one by glue and lacquered paper) so exposure is greatly reduced.  Since you are making the part either Kiri wood or heavyweight acid free artists board would be ideal choices.

Cheers, StevenK.

p.s.- Marco sounds like he has put a lot of careful thought into this matter, I am certain he will lead you in the right direction.

• Like 1

Thank you to both of you Marco and Steven!

To avoid scratching as a intermediate and temporary solution I have replaced the nails holding in position the fake nakago with soft wood pegs kept in position by interference (i.e. they are a little bit larger than the hole and forced into them).

Luca

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..