62Nd Juyo Sword Auction On Aoi

Hello:

Reading through this post makes me marvel at how much certainty is attached to inferences from a small set of two dimensional images and how the words of the seller are woven into various imaginary selling scenarios, all launching from a starting price. I admit to having bought from Aoi and the experiences, good and  bad, can be a story in themselves, however auctions at a distance with objects unseen are really not a substitute for hands on study. While I cannot speak of the situation other than in the US, here there is an opportunity to attend three or four excellent shows each year where you can consider a large number of blades, some brought by foremost and highly informed dealers. Their prices start with hope on their part, but the path to the final price can higgle its way to a mutually satisfactory equilibrium between buyer and seller. You don't have to worry about photographic tricks as stuff can be taken out into the daylight if you ask, and delivery has no delay. Consider Tampa in March, Chicago in April, Orlando in June, and San Francisco in August.

Arnold

You are right as usual Arnold!  I must admit to having had a good experience with Aoi arts so far, but there is always a risk.  But then again, even blades that I have not bought until after I have inspected them have turned out to have issues that I failed to notice, or in one case, a hagire that the NTHK didn't even notice it when they papered it for me.  My fingers are crossed on this one, but I believe that it is likely a truly exceptional Korekazu.  I do think that the price was a bit steep (although Tsuruta San gave me a discount after the auction ended), but as you have pointed out many times, these are not "investments" in the traditional sense.

Hi Bob:

Your are right of course about the Aoi price differential, but I take that to be starting price and that can only go up, but as suggested above the US dealer price is at the top of a negative slope. Further the ability to judge in hand is worth a premium, if there is a premium, as you have no uncertainty about recourse as you would when buying from any auction if things go wrong. I am not knocking Aoi, or any dealer for that matter, just trying to point out the advantage, if for no other reason than comparison, of hands on examination at a show. Without mentioning names quality comparisons could also be made as I have seen blade quality and paper levels over here on offer that substantially exceed what Aoi tends to have on their site even at the highest level.

Arnold

Well, I always have my eyes peeled at the shows I do go to for high quality blades, but one can find only a few juyo at the shows I go to at the very most.  I certainly have bought some sleepers, but they are often out of polish when bought in the US.  I suppose maybe SF and Tampa have more high quality blades than Chicago or Minneapolis, but I'm not sure....

Hi Bob:

Well of course the table space at a typical US sword show would preclude some dealers from bringing their entire inventory, unlike at the Dai Token Ichi where the set up seems to feature many quite large chock full booths. I am not making a pitch for any particular dealer over here, but if you will check a couple of well known sites you will see, as you know, lots of quite stunning stuff. Some of it gets to the shows, not all can, but if you were to ask a dealer to bring such and such for a forthcoming show, like majic it would probably appear for careful hands on study.

Arnold

Hi Bob:

It is more than worth the trip, the show and all the various associated things that can be participated in if one wishes. All the dealers from central Japan and perhaps beyond, everything in polish, certified, and usually priced right up front. A welcome three day event for "gaijin" from all over and in increasing number seen in the years when I have been there, great displays -just terrific! I don't know about groups but an inquiry here would probably get information on a number of folk you know who you could meet up with. You can add a trip to the new Sword Museum, the National Museum at Ueno which always has fine stuff and a large bookstore, and if you wish the Yasukuni Jija near Tokyo Station.

Arnold

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..