Ok How Do They Do It?

This is the third time in the last four months that my bids have been taken up to my high, then stop, leaving me the winner but at my top bid. is there a program out there tells them the highest bid?

example  winning bid was 165

private listing - bidders' identities protected $164.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:53:41AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $159.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:53:25AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $154.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:44AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $149.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:34AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $144.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:28AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $129.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:23AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $121.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:19AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $116.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:44:09AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $106.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:17PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $101.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:11PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $95.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:06PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $93.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:01PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $91.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:40:57PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $89.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:40:52PM PST

Different sites have diffeent bid schemes that you can enter an amount and it auto increments should you be outbid, until your max is reached. As far as a program that can do this, I dont see why not. Either from the seller seeing auctions or possibly increasing bids to reach the minimum, or a bidder who created or uses a bot. Looking at the time stamps it appeaers to be a bot of some sort. It looks like the bet 116.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:44:09AM, out reached the bots max, triggering a new max from the bidder; maybe $164. Intersting at the end you can see increases of $10, possibly bidding increment logic change... just a guess though.

This is the third time in the last four months that my bids have been taken up to my high, then stop, leaving me the winner but at my top bid. is there a program out there tells them the highest bid?

example  winning bid was 165

private listing - bidders' identities protected $164.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:53:41AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $159.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:53:25AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $154.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:44AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $149.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:34AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $144.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:28AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $129.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:23AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $121.00 19 Jan 2018 at 10:52:19AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $116.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:44:09AM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $106.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:17PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $101.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:11PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $95.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:06PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $93.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:41:01PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $91.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:40:57PM PST --   private listing - bidders' identities protected $89.00 17 Jan 2018 at 8:40:52PM PST

I had heard of this sort of program from an international collector with whom I correspond from time to time.

Then, a few months ago, I spotted a diamond in the rough and max bid on it. Some sort of software then quickly counterbid against me about 20 times in 30 seconds, raising the price $10 at a time jacking up an extra $200+ and stopping just $10 under my max bid.

This was Yahoo!Japan and one of the reasons I have largely given up on it as now overrun with questionable bidding.

To hear Stephen say it is on eBay, is very sad. I had thought it less likely there, due to no time extensions.

How does it work? I do not know, but there are many such systems trading in the stock market and now responsible for nearly 80% of the volume. It might explain the current extreme stock market valuations.

• Like 1

No outbid notices. No sign of cancelled bids.

In my case, there were 7+ minutes in the auction.

It bid up furious with bid count >over doubling in that 30 seconds, and then stopped cold. No other bids in the remaining time.

I don't know what the tell-tale could be, but it doesn't matter much.

Just be cautious. Maybe be careful of auctions with high bid counts.

I was lucky the damage wasn't worse.

i think when  the bid increment is $5  they bid until your bid is less than $5 higher. If your bid was 165 and they bid 150 the bid automatically goes to 155, if it only went up to 152 they would know that is the max bid. That is why they bid 144, 154. 164 hoping you bid in even $5 increments and they could wait till they hit just just less than you and then quit

• Like 2

i think when  the bid increment is $5  they bid until your bid is less than $5 higher. If your bid was 165 and they bid 150 the bid automatically goes to 155, if it only went up to 152 they would know that is the max bid. That is why they bid 144, 154. 164 hoping you bid in even $5 increments and they could wait till they hit just just less than you and then quit

Clever...I think you have it..or at least a good clue to the process.

I am kind of a simple guy; i don't set a max bid higher than i would be willing to pay to purchase outright.....if I get it for less, i am happy. I do get out bid for some things i would like, but if i can't live without it, I just buy it.

It has happened to me as a bidder a lot on ebay if I leave my bids in advance.  I think that what happens is the lister or a shill for the lister keeps making small incremental bids.  After each bid, it states a new price based on your left bid.  If he or his shill hits the limit of your bid exactly, then it lists that identical price to the previous bidder (you).  If he misses it by a little, then the bid advances to the limit of what you had bid and he can see that the incremental increase is smaller than typical and thereby know that your maximum bid has been reached.  This is why I only snipe bid if I am serious about an item.  Ebay pays lip service to having prevented such multiple ratcheted bids but really don't have the interest, since the higher the price the more they make.  

I just noticed that Mark explained the same thing already.  I agree with Mark.  If it is happening at the very end then it probably means that you have priced it perfectly and several others thought it was worth about the same amount.  

It has happened to me as a bidder a lot on ebay if I leave my bids in advance.  I think that what happens is the lister or a shill for the lister keeps making small incremental bids.  After each bid, it states a new price based on your left bid.  If he or his shill hits the limit of your bid exactly, then it lists that identical price to the previous bidder (you).  If he misses it by a little, then the bid advances to the limit of what you had bid and he can see that the incremental increase is smaller than typical and thereby know that your maximum bid has been reached.  This is why I only snipe bid if I am serious about an item.  Ebay pays lip service to having prevented such multiple ratcheted bids but really don't have the interest, since the higher the price the more they make.  

Within the realm of possibility that someone has a bidding program that does that exact thing, but faster than we could do it.

In fact it is likely.

Chris not sure if you understand this thread, i paid the 165, it was a bed time impuls, ok no big deal. I paid my mistake of not putting on Auction snipe.  what i do mind is what Japanese sellers have available at their hands is a program that cost me twice that what other bidders were bidding, its shill crooked $hit

• Like 1

I always make the assumption that the seller can see my max bid, & as Chris said, has a shill who bids until it's right under my max. I buy a lot on eBay for my companies, & this has proven to be a reasonable working guess. So bid what you think it's worth, & don't look back. I tried a couple of the snipers, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Ken

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..