Need Help With Translation

billyboy

Bill,

you can show the blade in full and in details here so we have a good impression of what it might be. The signature should be compared with those of confirmed originals, and if the condition allows, you could present the blade to a SHINSA panel. If the signature is genuine (which is not automatically so) and the blade in good shape (please refrain from all DIY cleaning or polishing attempts!), you could possibly have a very valuable blade.

(https://wiki.samurai...Gassan_Sadakazu)

This is gimei. 

Search the web for Gassan Sadakazu and Gassan Sadaichi and it will be extremely apparent to you that this signature is bad.  The Gassan group has a long standing tradition of painstakingly finishing their nakago and their mei is no different.  Gassan Sadayoshi and Gassan Sadakazu used to carve every single yasurime line individually - there is a term for that, but I cannot recall what it is.  I am not sure how far down the line that practice continued, as I do not collect the Gassan's, but Morioka Masayoshi (A student of Gassan Sadakazu, as well as Miyamoto Kanenori) practiced this as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if Sadakatsu did as well, who would be a contemporary of Morioka Masayoshi. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..