Hinoki Vaneers

Greg F

Hello Gentlemen, im hoping someone can tell me how to get some hinoki vaneer to fix a couple saya i have to get a more snug fit for the habaki in the koiguchi? Cheers.

Greg

Edit: i just realized I should have put this in the wanted section, my apologies.

I use a hinoki masu saké cup for that. 

post-4355-0-17763200-1516142421_thumb.jpg

With a sharp X-acto hobby knife...shave off some veneer thin strips and you're ready to go (don't cut your fingers...these knives are evil).

You only need 5mm x 15mm or so, because it's advised to only apply a strip on the mune or ha side (ha side is easiest).

Better not apply on the ura and omote sides of the saya....it's not needed and tension there can split a saya.

Use PVA glue.

I have to do this once every 2 or 3 months, because I practise iaido almost daily.

Robin

Hi guys thanks very much for the replies and thanks for moving this to the wanted section. In the past ive used 5 mil wide shavings of pine on the ha or mune ends of China made martial arts swords but this time its for a Nihonto blade so thought it best i use hinoki to be a little more traditional. I have gone with the hinoki saki cup for around ten bucks on ebay. All the best.

Greg

Archived