Cord Sarute?

kyushukairu

I expect that, despite all the stories of officers removing the sarute for ‘stealth’, it would make absolutely no appreciable difference between being heard or not. There was enough other equipment carried to rattle, twigs to snap, rocks to scuff, foliage to brush... Not to mention the soft silk/leather tassel wound around the sarute which probably stopped it from moving much to start with anyway.

More likely an economy decision, or regulation. I could be wrong, so don't confuse my opinion as a fact.

A little off topic maybe, but the wire sarute on 95 are sometimes found attached the wrong way around or missing. I don't believe that all, or even most, are post war tampering. There are enough original examples coming from estates and in museums to suggest that the sarute may have been removed during the war. I don't have have definitive proof again, just thought I'd share my opinion for what it's worth.

• Like 1

Then perhaps my second thought if not economy? Something to do with regulation, or even just personal taste?

Another thing to remember is that not all officers were front line. Swords were a status symbol, so may not be practical reasons. Another reason I doubt the ‘stealth’ theory. Too many cord sarute on naval swords too.

Another interesting observation is that the colour of the cord SARUTE normally matches the colour of the wrapping of the Tsuka. See first photo above. Leading me to believe the cord Sarute was probably almost a fashion statement by the owner. Many complete examples survive, which is testament to their robustness, and functionality.  

• Like 2

I agree with Steve and Neil. I doubt it would make any difference if the sarute is cord or metal for 'stealth' purposes as there is little movement on a metal sarute when a tassel is attached. Moreover, if they are mostly found with higher-end fittings then it's likely that they belonged to higher-ranking officers, who wouldn't have been out doing recon or crawling through the jungle, but would have been at HQ overseeing operations and planning the next assault.
Perhaps that could also explain why metal sarute are more often found on lower quality/lower ranking offer's gunto, because they were more robust, and company grade officers would have been out in the field?

I’ve got an Akimoto Akitomo with high grade Type 98 Koshirae with cord sarute. It has a leather field cover but no idea if it belonged to a ”desk clerk” or a fighting officer. However I think you guys are on the right track. Cord sarute wasn’t the poor mans choice...

I’m sure if you had the money to spend on a high grade gendaito blade in good mounts why save money on the sarute?

post-952-0-80542900-1516126216_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I was thinking that in combat situations, the cord sarute wouldn't be very practical and so more along the lines of Neil's "fashion" statement. Then i noticed that Ohmura's photo in the first post had a field grade tassel used by higher ranks not in combat roles, and after you all gave examples of high end blades and fittings where these are usually found.... i would tend to agree that it could be a high end option for officers.

On a side note, as my main focus is the Type 95 NCO variants, i'd like to share a late war Pattern 5 (Wood handle & Steel scabbard) which also has a similar sarute. It is more flat like "ito" wrap than a cord so to speak but suits the fittings better and functions the same.

These late war NCO's usually had the leather tassel looped through the hole to be mounted normally (last picture)

post-1868-0-70422500-1516155461.jpgpost-1868-0-24396300-1516155469.jpgpost-1868-0-13605600-1516156148.jpg

I agree with all the smart things said here, but just to add that when one holds a gunto in postures one might use for iaijutsu, batto etc. one has the impression the metal sarute might be a little annoying in actual practice, with small weight shifts and distracting noises as it moves, which on many examples it does.

Also agree with the high grade option cloth sarute, my high grade 1944 gunto has one.

Again on the more practical side, the Sarute and tassel are designed to securely fasten the sword to the bearers wrist during combat, much like a lanyard loop on a service pistol. Not sure if the cord Sarute is the strongest option for this task, which would put it back to high ranking officers who prefer the finer things in life over practicality.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..