North China Railway Company Sword

celt72

While at an antique mall today I ran across a North China Railway Company sword!!! This appears to be the very sword listed in Dawson's on page 336 in plate 26-13. My eyes about fell out of my head! I was only able to take a few quick pics, none of the blade unfortunately. The blade was oil quenched, about 27" with sanbonsugi hamon, I believe. It was in good condition. They are asking $5500 for the sword, which seams a little on the high side to me. What does everyone else think?

post-2687-0-44929100-1515980763_thumb.jpg

post-2687-0-72860800-1515980777_thumb.jpg

post-2687-0-05448700-1515980867_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Were I a collector I'd buy it in a heartbeat (I’d try negotiating a little of course), because the opportunity to purchase a truely rare and significant sword usually only occurs a handful of times in ones life. Anyone can get any quantity of 98s, but one like this is neigh unseen. Looks nice too.

IMHO, I wouldn't do anything until I got a look at the tang to see if it verifies the string tag. Could be the dealer was just guessing or going on hearsay. I'd be careful. Might be a great find - then again???

Rich

• Like 1

I'm not able to afford the sword myself at this time, so I've passed along all of the relevant info to a NMB member here who is interested in purchasing it. I'm sure that very soon the sword will be in good hands and hopefully that person will post more about it at that time. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..