Help Me With This Find (Type 98?)

Guillaume L

Hi everyone, I picked what I believe is my first real Type 98. There's only the smith signature which read as Toshichika Yamada. I found no stamp or date. The saya is wood wrapped in leather. What else can I tell you to help me? :)

Here's a few pictures, I can provide more on request.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1fFBB3kO427nkHg72

Just hope I paid a fair price for what it is and it's not Chinese.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Arigatou gozaimasu Bruce. I live in Canada and in my area we rarely see old blades.

Now the next question is, is it a showato or a gendaito. I tend more on the showato side.

Also, I've been trying to get a clear understanding of "machine made blades" vs hand forged. Which one it is for my specimen.

The only "machine made" blades are for bayonets, and possibly NCO swords. It's a shorthand term, and much overused, for every type of non traditional blade! Don't worry, the term keeps cropping up but ignores the realities of blade production in the early 20th century.

post-2218-0-93823600-1515869558_thumb.jpg

Mill steel, drawn out, shaped by power hammer and differentially hardened in oil.

The cord is probably original and used to secure the blade in the Saya in place of a normal locking mechanism. Seen more often on Kai Gunto, there was an informative discussion on this a few topics back.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..