Is This A Genuine Type 98 Sword

Kmad

Hi

I have acquired this Gunto in a job lot, along with some v good Indian swords and a Wakizashi, I have this up on the genuine Japanese part of the forum and it is getting a good response.

I am assuming it is a Type 98 officers sword, machine made, and the paint on the Nakago is manafacture labeling and doesn’t help much

Nothing else on either side of the Nakago

The hamon is quiet strong, v hard to photograph and I now appreciate your groups photography a lot more.

And I would put the blade condition at a medium.

Scabbard is metal beneath the leather cover

Blade length is 68 cm

So am I correct in my identification and is the tassel ok to this sword and what rank does this indicate,

I will probably be selling this to subsidies a potential polish on the Wakizashi, if it is Ok with moderator what is approx value of this sword

Many thanks

Ken

post-4089-0-39614900-1515747291_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-09071100-1515747309_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-89862900-1515747325_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-35429300-1515747339_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-17622800-1515747351_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-69107400-1515747363_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-50355100-1515747379_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-72201800-1515747401_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-98875600-1515747413_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-61944300-1515747428_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-99447600-1515747443_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-35640000-1515747458_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-31051500-1515747470_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-50294700-1515747481_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

It's genuine, to me it looks like an early production Type 98 with an uncommon thick non-pierced tsuba. The Tassel is Company grade; Lieutenant to Captain ranks. As for the sword, hard to tell with those photos and rough condition. The hamon in parts reminds one of oil tempered semi-traditional blades. If it's an earlier production piece it's not uncommon for non traditional blades to have no stamps or markings.

Value would probably be under 1000 usd due to the condition and uncertainty of the blade and condition of the mounts.

Hi Both,

Thanks for information and it looks as if i did OK on this sword as well.

Pity there is no markings on the sword but it is exciting when you take off the Tsuka and get to see what is underneath.

I taught the mounts looked OK condition, where do they fall down as not being in good condition?

(just information for potential future purchases not criticising your commnets)

I took it that the green on the Menuki would be a good thing to indicate the sword has not been messed with.  

Regards

Ken

Ken,

I agree with all the above, though it's possible the blade is late Shinto or Shin Shinto, due to the civilian menugi. You normally only see that on family blades that were militarized.

"Condition" varies depending upon the collector. This gunto has personality and a life to it, so that will appeal to some, whereas, some collectors look for "pristine" gunto that have shiny blades, untouched/undamaged fittings.

I'd say $1,000-1,200 USD. Selling it is a crap-shoot right now, as the market has slumped a bit for officer gunto. Their figure at 900 is probably where they are actually selling, though I feel they are worth more than that.

• Like 1

Hi David

Sorry are you agreeing with Bruce or are saying he is incorrect in that it might be showato

Also what is a Seki Togariba Hamon and is this what I have

I am totally out of my knowledge base here.

Thanks

Ken

Seki is a Japanese town/municipality where there was an Asenal which produces semi traditional swords (oil quench)

Hamon is the temper line, togari is a type of pattern in the hamon which is one or several peaks going up, typical of Old Mino province where is located Seki

24F14DD8-024D-445B-8D8D-B441230C7CCC.jpeg

Ken,

I agree with all the above, though it's possible the blade is late Shinto or Shin Shinto, due to the civilian menugi. You normally only see that on family blades that were militarized.

"Condition" varies depending upon the collector. This gunto has personality and a life to it, so that will appeal to some, whereas, some collectors look for "pristine" gunto that have shiny blades, untouched/undamaged fittings.

I'd say $1,000-1,200 USD. Selling it is a crap-shoot right now, as the market has slumped a bit for officer gunto. Their figure at 900 is probably where they are actually selling, though I feel they are worth more than that.

Hi bruce,

I am not with you on this. While I can not say for sure wheter it is Showato or Gendaito it is definately not a Shinshinto or even Shinto blade.

Also I am not on the price estimate in this case. The mounts are in average to poor condition and the blade is too. This sword is under 1k retail. But what do I know ... in the end it is what someone is willing / going to pay for it.

USD 600 - 800 sounds like a more reasonable call in my cheap oppinion. Atleast if you put it on eBay and comparing it to other offerings there. The cheapst offer sets the standard ...

Hi bruce,

I am not with you on this. While I can not say for sure wheter it is Showato or Gendaito it is definately not a Shinshinto or even Shinto blade.

Also I am not on the price estimate in this case. The mounts are in average to poor condition and the blade is too. This sword is under 1k retail. But what do I know ... in the end it is what someone is willing / going to pay for it.

USD 600 - 800 sounds like a more reasonable call in my cheap oppinion. Atleast if you put it on eBay and comparing it to other offerings there. The cheapst offer sets the standard ...

After looking at the nakago again, I have seen showato with rust/patina like this too, which is why I simply said it was "possible." But another thing I realized, is that family blade, remounted most often have a second mekugi hole in the nakago, which this one does not. That added to the hamon info, I'd agree the weight of the info points to standard wartime showato. The civi menugi puzzles me still.

As to price, you just proved my point! Ha!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..