Norishige Pricing (Katana No Kura)

Norishige is a premium name. It is getting more difficult to find (as is the trend with good Soshu in general). Personally I would also go for a signed tanto or something at this price point but for Norishige this is probably fair.

There are some mumei Norishige waki at Juyo level but mostly it is katana length blades.

I am a big fan of Norishige’s work. But, I think this one is not that good (or may be just bad photos). Thats why it is reflected in the price. Normally his really good pieces get snatch up faster than you can blink. This one is on this site who know for how long, but definitely before November, which clearly indicates that its pricing is not attractive.

There are a lot of good blades at Katana no kura shop. You must find a go-between because he does not export swords. I have friend who is a friend of Sato san who negotiates on my behalf. This one was for a while on his website till I saw it and grab it.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/19201-kantei-for-fun/

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, all. From the photos it doesn't have some of the hallmarks of the best Norishige work I have seen, and as an ōsuriage wakizashi I could certainly understand a lower price, though ~17k USD seemed even lower than I would have guessed. Appreciate all of your perspectives.

There are a lot of good blades at Katana no kura shop. You must find a go-between because he does not export swords. I have friend who is a friend of Sato san who negotiates on my behalf. This one was for a while on his website till I saw it and grab it.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/19201-kantei-for-fun/

Yes, KnK is one of my favorite sites to browse, but the owner not only does not export blades but pretty much does not respond to English, from what I have experienced once in the past. If I saw something I was tempted by I'd find a proxy but until then I will content myself with admiring photos.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..