Wakizashi Questions

Kubur

I got two wakizashi. The blades are very different.

Any idea where they come from and their age?

Hello Kubur,

my best guess is ancient Japan!

Just kidding. The blades look like they may have been used / rewrapped for the so called Satsuma Rebellion. A significant historical event. The Handguards however could be older than that. We need to see more images as Ray pointed out.

Both blades are hence late Edio periode at the lastes. My gut feeling is that they are significantly older. Due to the shapes they could be as old as Nambokucho periode. We shall see more when you show us the tangs of the blades.

The condition is presently pretty poor but they might take a good polish and be just fine. Impossible to tell right now. We need to see more and larger images.

Well, in the present condition you could throw the blades inside a box of nails and it hardly would worsen them. However Ray is right that in general blades should not be put on (hard) ground.

So called "Satsuma (rebellion)" swords are a bit of a vexed question in the Nihonto world. Being a low end item not a lot of research has been done on them. My own opinion is that they were armoury "munition" swords, made up from pieces that would not polish, but had one more fight left in them. Some of the mounts are downright odd with pieces of scabbard being used to make hilts etc.You might enjoy a read of this thread, though some of the pictures have gone due to broken links.   

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/12723-okashi-to-rebellion-swords/?hl=%2Bsatsuma+%2Brebellion&do=findComment&comment=131643

Sometimes i think every cheap or homemade koshirae is called satsuma rebellion koshirae. I would really like to see the tsuba of these swords. In this case i didn't think that the koshirae was cheap or less made. I think that these swords are old and nobody cares about for a long time. On the second picture i belive the saya didn't fit for the sword.

• Like 1

Sometimes i think every cheap or homemade koshirae is called satsuma rebellion koshirae. I would really like to see the tsuba of these swords. In this case i didn't think that the koshirae was cheap or less made. I think that these swords are old and nobody cares about for a long time. On the second picture i belive the saya didn't fit for the sword.

This was why I wanted to put together a thread on these , and have a discussion on what could be regarded as being a "Satsuma" rather than just a shabby sword. I have my own ideas now, and think that they (Satsuma or Okashi-to) are in fact an identifiable type.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I have more photos for you.

It was a bit difficult to remove the hilt that was blocked by some rice papers (with inscriptions).

The tang is signed.

What do you think, someone is able to read Japonese?

Best,

Kubur

post-4128-0-16713100-1523039836_thumb.jpgpost-4128-0-26923800-1523039846_thumb.jpgpost-4128-0-09443500-1523039860_thumb.jpgpost-4128-0-68999500-1523039874_thumb.jpgpost-4128-0-51006800-1523039885_thumb.jpgpost-4128-0-73744900-1523039896_thumb.jpgpost-4128-0-16660900-1523039941_thumb.jpg

post-4128-0-09742200-1523039925_thumb.jpg

If the mei is authentic, this would be a late Muromachi smith. There are several generations listed in the Toko Taikan, Nihonto Meikan and Fujishiro. The Sue-Mihara school produced some very nice work, and also work that was of more average quality.

Thank you so much guys

now i did some photos of the other wakizashi or tanto i don't know.

What is striking is the thickness of the blade, so thick and up to the tip.

There is a flower engraved on the tang.

Can i ask your opinions?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..