Inherited Sword Need Information

DebraB

I inherited this sword from my late husband. It was given to him by an uncle that had been overseas. By the late husband's description, it was in more or less perfect condition when he got it in approximately 1970. However, the pictures show what happens when a sword is given to a 10 y.o. boy. That is the extent of his knowledge of the sword. Ive had an older Japanese woman look at it and all she could tell me was that it was very old Japanese and she couldnt read it.

It measures 25 inches in total with a cutting edge that is just over 19 inches long.

post-4369-0-15296600-1515530815_thumb.jpgpost-4369-0-43378100-1515530873_thumb.jpgpost-4369-0-53819100-1515530949_thumb.jpgpost-4369-0-72952300-1515531191_thumb.jpg

John, its been that bad for years. Hubby just talked me into oiling it. Doubt i will ever sell it but, everything has a price. Lol. I would love to restore it but, doubt i could afford it. I also feel it may be de-valued (if there was any value) due to a nick in the cutting edge.

Please send a photo of the chip(s) in the edge. It appears to be a wide piece, and if the hamon is also wide it is possible that the shape can be restored by a professional polisher with no loss of value. Also (saying this with emphasis) only a licensed sword polisher should handle the restoration work if you decide to do this in the future...

John, its been that bad for years. Hubby just talked me into oiling it. Doubt i will ever sell it but, everything has a price. Lol. I would love to restore it but, doubt i could afford it. I also feel it may be de-valued (if there was any value) due to a nick in the cutting edge.

• Like 1

Here is a pic of the largest nick. The others are much much smaller. Im curious as to value as is and restored? And what a professional restoration would cost? What does the side worn next to the hip say?what is written on the saya say?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated because this sword has been in my life for 20 plus years now and this is the first time anyone has been able to tell me anything about it that is correct.post-4369-0-70200500-1515539112_thumb.jpg

Hi Debra,

Here is a page that will tell you how to take care of the sword:

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm

Restoration, if done right, will cost about $2,500 to $3,000 and it won't add anywhere near that much to the value, which is, in current condition, somewhere less than $1,000.  Restoration, if done by the wrong person, will make this worth even less; don't do that.  I don't think someone in your position (accidental owner with only passing interest in the sword as art) should have a sword restored; keep a fine coat of oil on the blade and enjoy it for its story until you are ready to pass it on (sell) to someone with greater passion.

Grey

• Like 2

That does not appear to be a very significant chip and should be restorable. Please note though that handling the blade with your bare hands will promote further rusting. Grey has shared an excellent article above with recommendations for handling and care.

Here is a pic of the largest nick. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..