Maintenance Leather Covered Saya

cisco-san

Hello,

I own a Shin Gunto with a leather covered saya. Unfortunately the leather is not in best condition.
Therefore I would kindly ask for your advise how to maintain it properly.
Of course there are a lot of products on the market (water proof spray, leather grease...) - but I don´t want to fail and destroy the leather

Many thanks in advance
Klaus

Leather needs fat. I use "nivea". Put the creme very thick on it. After 12 hours, remove it and do it again. You need 5 -7 days to fill the leather. If the leather is dead (broken) you have no chance to reactivate it. 

If it's leather on wood, nothing to lose, proceed in the spirit of useful advice already given. If metal saya, maybe that would look better on it's own anyway, especially if the leather is far gone..

I have brought back a number of leather goods back to apparent health, worth trying.

If we take the example of leather bayonet scabbards (or boots), it is also possible to cover pitting in the leather with carefully (skilfully) applied layers of colored polish. May or may not be appropriate here.

A photo could be useful.

I use a product called Talas. They have a whole line of products that are used in the restoration of leather bound,high end books. I have used both the leather cleaner and cream with Great Results. Dosent change the original look just cleans the leather and feeds it. Good luck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..