Kitsch Kutani Bowl Portraying Sword Forging

Bazza

I bought this bowl simply because of the sword forging theme.  I'm guessing its the Fox Goddess on the left, the smith at work, and a priest or noble on the right.  The bowl is 22cm across and 8cm high.  I guess the mark reads KUTANI SEI.  Now, Japanese ceramic marks are their own form of hell (as someone once commented about Japanese names!) and a reasonably exhaustive search of Gotheborg amongst others did not reveal this particular mark.  I present it here for general interest, although my wife say it is one of the fugliest things she has ever seen...

Bestests,

BaZZa.

post-671-0-57439400-1515284997_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-62122000-1515285034_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting that the fox on her head expresses her true nature. Much like the Maedate on a kabuto.

In Japanese elementary schools today the characters in school fable/plays are often shown by the paper headband and animal head each wears, frog, rabbit, etc.

http://www.pref.kanagawa.jp/uploaded/image/368041.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..