Katakiri Kozuka Kantei

Ford Hallam

Dear Ford,

It's made in the style of Yokoya Soyo II, but I believe that it's a copy (or it was done by Somin, his master, who was not as good at katakiribori as Soyo II - a controversial opinion I know...).

P.S. Thanks for the two fun challenges in the last few days!!!

no other takers...?  :)

well the style/genre of carving is certainly that developed by the Yokoya school under Somin I ( 2nd Yokoya master), the actual painting style the katakiri work was based on was that of the artist Hanabusa Itcho, a close friend and teacher of Somin.

But this piece is in fact the work of a Yokoya student, Furukawa Genchin. He studied under Somin and adopted his style, albeit with a touch of his own style in there. The Furukawa school that followed from him included his son, grandson and a number of of others. 

I suppose the lesson learned might be that while this classic style of kata-kiri derives from the Yokoya it's worth remembering that after Genchin there was at least on other school well versed in the style.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..