In Memoriam

At the beginning of this new year, I’d like to initiate this post in Memory of members who are still vivid in our mind though they passed away, this is a credit to what they brought to us by freely sharing their knowledge:

Thierry Bernard

Docliss

Veli

• Like 16

Exceptionally missed:  Herr Hagenbusch

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/18678-n-b-t-h-k-e-b-bonn-30-01-2016/

To add to Jean's list:

Herr Hagenbusch

John Prough

Col Dean Hartley

Harry Watson

Cary Condell-  more people seemed to hate him than like him, but he was an educator and important in the US-Japan for many years.

--I fenced Varsity at my university. The other week after discussing fencing here on the board, I had a dream of my old teammates and those practices among a lively young group of 12-13 men and 4-5 women. The women's captain's name was Mayling Birney, one of the most sweet sincere intelligent people I knew at university. At 44, she was now a professor of Economics at the London School of Economics. Supposedly a heart issue felled her suddenly a few months ago. She was one of those people I always hoped would live a long happy life, so I am very sad for her passing as I think too many of us rotten bastards continue on.

• Like 6

Amen. I feel the loss of some of these gentlemen every time I am here. Some lived full and rich lives, and there is some little consolation that they had a good innings. But others were taken far too early for any sense to be made of it.
But to all, and those outside of the NMB that we know personally, RIP and our thoughts are with you.

• Like 4

Jim Kurrasch indeed.  Thanks Ray for the memory.  Jim and I had a lively correspondence, as I'm sure he did with many others.

There are some well-remembered people too from my older days, particularly remembering Bon Dale of the To-ken Society of Great Britain.  He organised an exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum and I still recall a photo of Bon in discussion with the Japanese Ambassador, sword in hand.  Somewhere around I still have a copy of the catalogue (not catalog!!!).  I'm sure Clive Sinclaire will remember it well.

BaZZa

(showing his age...)

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..