A Timely Kozuka

Ford Hallam

This is a Kono school kozuka that was evidently made to celebrate the New Year.

The artist is Akichika, he was a direct student of the celebrated Kono Haruaki Hogen.

This is pretty decent work so the question is can you identify all of the elements of the design that allude to the new Year celebration? Some are obvious, other perhaps less so.

Double click the images to see larger versions.

post-164-0-65746900-1514737412_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-57139500-1514737430_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-59731900-1514737444_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-73284000-1514737456_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-48836400-1514737471_thumb.jpg

And a very happy new year to you all.  :)

• Like 1

Everyone is too busy with NYE preparations to look for the New Year symbols :glee:
Will try and give it a go tomorrow. Right now, I'm in the process of curling up foetal position in the corner and rocking slowly while chanting "where did my holiday go...where did me holiday go...."

Dear Ford,

Nice New Year's challenge.  I'll try for one of the less obvious elements and leave some of the fun for others (e.g., look for Tsuru, Matsu & Minogame).  On the Ura (backside), the far right element appears to be the Yuzuri plant, the leaves of which are used in New Year's decorations to symbolize longevity of the Father (a Yuzuri leaf does not fall until its replacement has grown - meaning the New Year's wish that the Father won't die until the Son is full grown).

• Like 3

On the reverse I see "kadomstsu" on a water well.

A “ kadomatsu,” or “gate pine,” is a traditional Japanese New Year’s decoration. They are placed in pairs in front of homes in order to welcome ancestral spirits or gods of the harvest. Kadomatsu are considered temporary housing for these spirits and are typically made of pine and bamboo sprigs.

The object on the front is not so obvious to me. Could it be an "omamori", an amulet for protection picked up during "hatsumode"?

Hi Ford,

I believe that the depiction of a well head represents the ceremony of wakamizu, the drawing if the first water from a well on New Year's Day.  I have a tsuba that shows this, hence the garlands around the tree.

Best regards, John

post-941-0-51791700-1515346145_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-50155700-1515346162_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Piers,

pretty good on all the lesser details but the main decorative objects seems to have been a little obscure.

This from Wikipedia, 

The buriburi and gitcho were Japanese children's toys, traditionally given together as a New Year's gift. The buriburi was a gourd-shaped roller, with or without wheels, which was rolled along the ground or pulled with a string; the gitcho was a short mallet or bat.[1]Their origin is obscure, but it is believed that they originated from China,[2] and that they were used in a game of the same name.[3] Both the implements and the game were closely associated with the New Year Festival in Heian-era Japan.[4] After the festival, the playing implements were sometimes ceremonially burned in a ceremony known as sagitcho.[5] Transactions and proceedings of the Japan Society, London. 35-37. Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner and Co. 1938. p. 23.

post-164-0-33702100-1515677136_thumb.jpg

Kubo Shunman 19th cent. Hama-yumi (the bow) and Buriburi-Gitcho, Boy's toys for the New year celebration.

• Like 4

I please everyone enjoyed this little investigation and came away entertained and a little wiser :glee:

What I find interesting is that this piece was evidently made specifically for the new year's festivities and as such would probably only have been worn on that day. It was probably not a cheap piece to commission so it was intended to make quite the status statement. It would then have been unlikely to have been worn after that day (until the next year perhaps) because that would have suggested that the wearer couldn't afford a more appropriately themed piece and made him look very unfashionable and inelegant. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..