my first sword

Hermes

I bought it from a sword dealer at a SF Cow Palace Gun Show in the 80's, a small tanto, his stand was about 75 feet from the door, the dealers name might have been Rick, he was Japanese and a nice easy guy to deal with if you had the time, he was busy, he had a lot of swords. Thanks in advance.

firsttanto.jpg

firsttanto2.jpg

firsttanto3.jpg

James

My guess at a glance...

A-shu ju Sukehira æ·¡å·žä½ã€€ç¥å¹³

You are right! But ......

the pronunciation for the province may be Tan-shu.

All these years 've been saying A-shu, and I even had an Awa-zutsu, and nobody corrected me, and it's "Tan-shu"....... grrrrrr..... :thanks: Moriyama san!

All these years 've been saying A-shu, and I even had an Awa-zutsu, and nobody corrected me, and it's "Tan-shu"....... grrrrrr..... :thanks: Moriyama san!

Piers,

Are you saying this Awa-zutsu? ---> 阿波筒

Then, that Awa (阿波) is called as A-shu (阿州). (aka Tokushima Prefecture)

However, Tan-shu (淡州) means Awaji-shima (淡路島) in Hyogo-prefecture.

Come on, Moriyama san, give me a break. They are right next door to each other and I always put them together in my mind!!! Awaji and Awa no kuni are different, but they do sound very similar in English!!! I know you are right. :lol:

Hai, wakarimashita! :bowdown:

*****Anyway, James, the east of Shikoku is a nice part of the world! Please forgive the thread-napping...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..