Is This A Kunihiro Tsuba?

vfox

Hello,

I found this tsuba mounted on a late war gunto, which has a mei that appears to read "Kunihiro". However, the "kuni" character is a little strange and I am not sure if I am reading it correctly.

The tsuba measures 7cm in length and is 4mm thick.

post-3031-0-66974700-1514309858_thumb.jpgpost-3031-0-10125800-1514309872_thumb.jpg

post-3031-0-02481900-1514309879_thumb.jpgpost-3031-0-67965900-1514309890_thumb.jpg

Any opinions will be much appreciated!

Regards,

Jay

I'm green as grass, so forgive me when I'm wrong, but the mei doesn't look like Kunihiro imho.

By the way...I do have a question about Kunihiro.

I found several swordsmiths with this name...were the tsuba's made by these smiths...or in their workshops.

Or is Kunihiro just a very common name in Japan?

Thanks,

Robin

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I have a feeling the left-most stroke of "Kuni" was meant to be longer but stopped short, and the smith decided to add another dot above to make up for it. Although it could be another character altogether as well.

Best Regards,

Jay

I have no doubt the mei is KUNIHIRO.  Never mind the KUNI- character being problematic as -HIRO is also poorly rendered as far as strokes go.  I feel that Jay's tsuba is also a late war piece compared to Patrice's tsuba, which I think is an older piece as it has a far better and more balanced shape and an appearance of real age.  Possibly Momoyama???

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..