Wakizashi Identification And Questions

chevota84

I inherited this sword from my dad and the only thing I know for sure is that it's a ww2 bring back. The grip used to be in great shape but my stepmother left it somewhere that her cats could get to it. I was originally just planning on getting the grip replaced/rebuilt but I'd like to see if you guys think it's worthy of a full restoration. It looks like a legitimate antique but there's no signature. These are the pics i have so far, i can look into getting better ones if it'd be helpful. Thank you in advance for any help.

Wakizashi https://imgur.com/gallery/6f8af

Wakizashi cleaned https://imgur.com/gallery/DlkEZ

Wakizashi file marks and tip https://imgur.com/gallery/2d2d2

Craig

If I'm seeing what I think I am, Craig, you have a very-unusual wakizashi. I've seen very few with an o-kissaki as large as that. But I'm not quite convinced that I'm seeing a yokote, even though it's on both sides.

If you run your gloved finger over the small area near the tip that is at right-angles to the cutting edge, aka what looks like the yokote, can you feel the raised metal? It won't be large, but should be perceptible.

The sugata is also unusual, & I can't decide if it's an ubu naginatanaoshi of wakizashi length, or just a blade that appears that way. The kasane is thin, indicating lots of polishes, which is odd on what looks like an ubu wakizashi. It will be interesting to get others' thoughts.

I think you are looking at shobu zukuri and not o-kissaki.
Nakago has a little bit of a kaga feel. Yes, it is antique...few hundred years old. Keep any restoration away from the blade itself (if you are doing it) and look up how to maintain it for now.

• Like 1

Do you guys think it's worthy of a full restoration? I wasn't going to attempt anything myself and I'd already been researching some places to send it to. The Fred Lohman company is only 120 miles from me so that's currently in the #1 spot. Again, thanks for all the info, we had always assumed it was just a ww2 cheapy so it's pretty neat to see that it's much older.

It had a katana with it that my uncle has now, I'm going to contact him and see if he's done any research on that one.

If it wasn't so unusual, I'd advise against spending money on a wakizashi, Craig. Fred Lohman is certainly a choice for restoration, but I'd vote for Bob Benson out here in Hawaii, who is a classically-trained togishi (polisher), & who can advise you on whether it's worth restoring. I'll point his assistant, Woody, at your photos, & see if he can give some advice. Are you aware that the polishing alone will cost approximately $100/inch? Plus a new shirasaya at about $300. Not cheap!

Also, please sign your first name on ALL posts, per Brian's rules. It's easiest to set up in your signature.

Ok, thanks. I'd looked into the polishing and it definitely will be a cost consideration. I figure with proper care from here forward that it'd be a one time investment, and since I wasn't planning on it going anywhere that it would be worth it. Something that has survived for a couple hundred years deserves a little money thrown at it lol.

Sorry about the signature, I get in a hurry and forget, I'll get it fixed in my settings.

Craig

Hi Craig,

A polish isn't necessary for preservation; it only changes the appearance of the sword.  Your sword isn't so far out of polish that you can't see what's there.  Since beginners usually spoil a polish (with scratches, dings, whatever) I think you should get the handle rewraped and put off a polish until you can better appreciate it.  David McDonald in Montana (check the links above) does a great rewrap and it won't break the bank.  Save some money and take the time to learn what you have; the polish can always happen later.

Grey

Do you guys think it's worthy of a full restoration? I wasn't going to attempt anything myself and I'd already been researching some places to send it to. The Fred Lohman company is only 120 miles from me so that's currently in the #1 spot. Again, thanks for all the info, we had always assumed it was just a ww2 cheapy so it's pretty neat to see that it's much older.

It had a katana with it that my uncle has now, I'm going to contact him and see if he's done any research on that one.

Economically speaking unfortunately the answer is no in this case. However if you feel a special attachment to it then it doesn't matter. However you should not spend 100.00 / inch for a olish but go with a less high rate in my oppinionb. Also could consider having the Saya split. cleaned and restored and thus avoiding thetc cost of a Shirasaya.

I wasn't real concerned about return-on-investment, I just didn't want to throw thousands at a junk blade. If it is a couple hundred year old traditionally forged blade I don't feel like it's too much of a waste to have it polished. Waiting until I have more experience in proper care is probably a good idea, I'll get the handle rebuilt and a proper scabbard built and save up for the polish later. Thanks

Dear Craig:

If you really want to have fun, learn a ton about your sword from some of the top sword scholars and collectors, meet polishers, speak to restoration experts, and to persons who can wrap your handle, and experience one of the best sword shows in the U.S., I would suggest that you book a cheap flight on Southwest to San Francisco in August 2018, and bring your sword to the San Francisco Token Kai sword show. You will learn more about your sword and various restoration options in one day than you can imagine.I understand you do not plan to sell the sword, and you want to preserve it and restore it properly. You live in Oregon, and a flight to S.F. is not that expensive. If you are not in a big hurry, I think it would be well worth your time and money to take the sword to the show and really hone in on what is the best way to proceed with your restoration plans. You will meet many of the people who responded to your post here at the S.F. show. One cannot say enough about the benefit of having someone do a hands-on inspection of your sword. Bob Benson is always at the show, along with Grey Doffin. There is a polisher at the show that may be able to do a light touch up polish, assuming he has the time, and there are other polishers in attendance at the show who are always willing to give advice on whether a blade is worth polishing. There is a person at the show who can re-wrap your handle, if he can fit you in. If you have a significant other, you can make a great weekend get away trip to San Francisco, and combine the sword show and a mini-vacation opportunity.

Check out www.nihonto.com for the sword show dates. Hope to see you at the show, and hope to welcome another collector to this unique hobby. 

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)   

• Like 2

I'll check it out. This whole world fascinates me, it's kind of awesome that this example might be around 200 years old and it's not rare or unusual and is considered a baby. Both of my parents instilled a healthy respect in me for anything that survives multiple generations.

Thanks to all of you, I learned a bunch and I've got in contact with a few shops. I'll update the thread if I learn anything new.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..