Nco 95 With Bent Blade. Still Of Value? And Cannot Loosen Screw Peg. Any Thoughts?

Emerykim

I triained iaito and constantly looking for a reasonable Gunto. I finally purchased an NCO 95 Gunto. The serial match but noticed, on arrival, the blade is bent at a the level of a the Tsuba. There are scratches on the blade that are transverse vs longitudinal. The peg (mekugi) is frozen in attempt to unscrew. My question is should I return it and keep looking for a better quality Gunto? Or keep it for the value of the piece that is intact despite the bend? The other question is are there any thoughts about removing the screw to assess the tang? I am afraid I might strip it, damage the screw or sheer the head off. Thank you.

Emery

post-4342-0-53872300-1513486175_thumb.jpeg

post-4342-0-63887900-1513486207_thumb.jpeg

post-4342-0-16863000-1513486233_thumb.jpeg

post-4342-0-43167900-1513486250_thumb.jpeg

post-4342-0-79381000-1513486283_thumb.jpeg

Emery,

I have several 95’s and have disassembled every one. There is very little to gain in removing the tsuka on an NCO. There is never a smith name, and very rarely you’ll see an inspector stamp. I’m an avid follower of stamps, so that’s the only reason that I look. So if you feel like you might damage the screw or nut, it’s not worth it.

As to keep it sell - that’s a personal “taste “ question that only you can answer.

Even the modern replica 95 are preferable. In fact, they're actually reasonably impressive sharpened. There's a YouTube video on it.

Wait a moment... When did this become an Iai question?

As to keeping, send it back. Junk if you break the blade trying to unbend. Let seller risk it.

• Like 1

I purchased as a collectible and would not train with it. I am not too concerned about the sharpness. Yes my concern is making it worse trying to remove the tsuka and stripping the screw or making the blade worse. Thank you for all of your feedback to move forward and making a decision. I will repost when I can find another reasonable purchase.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..