Brief Advice/complaint

We all scan all the seller listings.

What I cannot understand in the era of camera phones and known ways to capture hada, etc that listings are still at times are not clear and you have to guess. On Ebay sure, but for 10k plus I am going to want to see what I need to. For tsuba (better overall than swords) front, back and edge pics are required.

My advice for sellers:

- Have all dimensions ready and posted (hate having to follow up on this, it's critical to an evaluation).

- Have a real light (not a scan picture) with the hada, hamon in the listing. Too may listings of a "name" with about zero detail in the pictures, maybe some like to go by that, but I like to see what I am buying.

- Explain any mei as best you can, if I have to go to the books for identification, it's annoying. 

Seems simple.

• Like 3

Jeremiah.

This is a useful discussion. Still, I am challenged by a couple of points. Let me make two specific responses.

1. If the community needs to be taught how to take digital images we need to be taught. If you are skilled in this regard, or if you have discovered what really needs to be shown, by all means offer guidance.

2.Going to the books should not be an annoyance. It should be the FIRST thing we do. It should be the activity that informs and guides all of our observations and judgements.

Peter

• Like 2

Jeremiah.

This is a useful discussion. Still, I am challenged by a couple of points. Let me make two specific responses.

1. If the community needs to be taught how to take digital images we need to be taught. If you are skilled in this regard, or if you have discovered what really needs to be shown, by all means offer guidance.

2.Going to the books should not be an annoyance. It should be the FIRST thing we do. It should be the activity that informs and guides all of our observations and judgements.

Peter

Totally agree Peter 100%, always verify and go to the books. You know I do. As for pics, the better folks know how to capture the elements, not my place to instruct.

Ok, my post has gone way wrong and I did not convey what I meant to. If Brian would delete that would be fabulous. 

No, wait! There aren't really any standards for our members to post when they have something to sell, so if we start with that, we can come back to photographic techniques. I have company, so someone else can post the minimum info we should expect.

I am not selling anything, but what I would like in any listing (and here on NMB we get them one way or another, so I don't mean here):

- All dimensions

- Hada side flash capture (like mine above)

- Nakago picture

- Full unmounted blade picture

I admire the skill and courage of folks to buy from a mei or a name smith, but I want to know what I am getting into.

There is that "courage" word again Jeremiah!  I think that most of the best deals I have gotten on ebay resulted from really bad photos of really good swords!  I don't disagree with you, but if everybody listed great photos, then the super bargains would disappear, I'm afraid.  I usually look very hard for one, two or three elements of the photos that tell me the blade or the mounts are particularly good.  I can't say I haven't been disappointed with junk that I thought would be good, though.  As long as the price paid was for junk, it usually works out ok.  Cheers, bob

• Like 2

1. List as much information you can about a sword, including lots of high definition pictures

2. List some basic information with a picture

Number 1 approach is in my opinion the best as it includes that everyone will get that information. However the number 2 approach most likely will exclude "tire kickers" who have no intention of buying the sword but I'd think it will generate less traffic but maybe more serious inquiries. I've seen many high end item sellers use the number 2 approach too. For example I always want to see some asking price for the item, I get frustrated if the seller has something like "contact for price & information" etc. As I am not actively in the market for any high quality stuff I will never bother the seller no matter how interested I would be. I understand the "ask for price" for super expensive and rare items but not for some average items.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..