Interesting Long Blade On Ebay

I think this was another intesting long Ubu blade on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sword-31-5-Active-Samuri-/282740142928

Maybe a board member got it? Congrats!

Let's not look at the common Handachi style Koshirae.

The blade looked Koto periode. I'm not sure where to date it exactly.

I couldn't read the Mei. 1st Kanji Suke? 2nd? Masa? No ... can' tell.

If anybody here bought, please shed more light on it and good luck!

Hello John,

why do you think so?

I can't say if the blade has any Kizu. The Nakako isn't in nice condition. Looking at it, I would have though the blade too be quite a bit older due to the bad rusting.

However if that thing polishes up nicely and gets TBH it should be worth 800.000 - 1 Million Yen easily ...

Some large delaminations in the monouchi, chips, active rust etc etc

Nearly 5k in it already after polish and Shinsa, then what if Shinsa perhaps comes back with average Kaga Muromachi/Shinto piece? i don't know if it would pass TH with such big flaws, even if it is ubu.

For me it just seems a bit of a gamble.

Too much fear my friend.

The bad thing about Jagire is that they do not necessarily come with chips. There are chips that will be linked to a Hagire but I jhave had blades with several Hagire but not a single chip.

What is more worriesome I think are the lamination issues as John pointed out.

Overall the longer a sword the more likely the problens. Deep curvature will often also add to it since blades very deep sori are more diffuclt to forge thus things tend to go wrong.

Yes of course, but you must spent a lot of money to take a look. I have bought a very old katana with many flaws but total healthy in very good polish. This was not expensive and I had the guarantee that there was nothing fatal.

The risk is very high if i look on the pictures that the blade has something fatal what you can't see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..