Did Anybody Here Buy This Wakizashi?

hello jose,

it went so high because someone was digging for a lost treasure / sleeper. A disguised Nakako will unfortunately more often bring up the price than down ...

However I do not think that this Habaki and Tsuba are Chinese made. The Habaki seems to be a rather decent Shakudo covered piece. It fits very nicely judging from the pictures. Neitehr do you get a Nagamaki shaped Habaki of Chinese origin that easily nor would the random chances of it being a good fit be a gamble I'd take on. I will need about 50 spare Habaki to find a good fitting one.

Hence all I think that has been a recent addition is the string on the Tsuka.

The blade could be pre Muromachi periode in my cheap oppinion. I saw some good potential in it.

I think blade is "possibly" genuine

Saya genuine

Habaki genuine, not sure about shakudo, I think possibly sprayed/lacquered black

Everything else home made, including tsuba.

I get the impression is was brought back by a vet and messed about by kids or whatever, parts lost, then ended up Mad Max style.

Speculation.

• Like 1

Hello Alex,

interesting point on the lacquered Habaki. Could be possibly.

I am not sure if the Tsuba is homemade. The Tsuka wrapping is bad. Not question on that. If I did it, it would be the or worse. So we can agree it is bad.

However if I di theTsuba it would be much much worse ... I am too ignorant about Tsuba but think the Tsuba is not homemade ... also coming from my bare expirience that GIs used to mess up things by enchanching them but doing a Tsuba on their own is not something we see often. In my humble oppinion the tsuba is made to well to be by a GI.

Interestng thing remains teh blade.

I would never buy such a blade.

How often are talked about that?

This blade was used as garden tool or maybe something for playing around.

I think it is lost.

post-3496-0-94021900-1513265531_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-95531700-1513265548_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-03966600-1513265563_thumb.jpg

And the rest of the sword is scrap.

Thats my opinion. 

• Like 1

Hello Alex, the Tsuba looked to be copper aloy? 

No :laughing: , I was intending to show you that you can get sword hilts/guards or whatever already made, and I'm ASSUMING if you look hard enough you will find them in STEEL or whatever, I didn't look hard enough.

The saya could be late Edo, and again when I look at it, it could be 1985, like the one I have upstairs on my Ninja sword.

I personally could not spend that much money on the sword, perhaps a polisher bought it, sees some profit.

I watched a (potential) Sukesada Katana ending this morning, was half tempted, but as always with Ebay I didn't bother in the end, I find it too risky. I have trouble buying swords with clear pictures and a shinsa result :laughing: 

I think it is a real nihonto blade. The tsuba is not real. Looks like a bolt.

The saya is genuine but how much worth? $50

The habaki looks strange in color (maybe painted).

The Tsuka is mabe real, but the ito is cord. Its worthless.

And I bet the blade has some hagire. So it is lost.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..