Naval Dirk Tassel?

george trotter

I picked up an interesting kai-gunto yesterday...blade ordinary, but it has  the details of both the Australian officer who obtained it in 1945 and the Japanese Naval Ensign who owned/surrendered it. It had the surrender tag and brown rank tassel as one would expect to see (FYI...it also has the extra protruding type scabbard ishizuke (chape) as illustrated in F&G "Jap. Mil. and Civil Swords and Dirks" pp.70 & 129).

My question however relates to the little "tassel" attached to the top scabbard suspension ring. I just don't know exactly what these are. I have seen about 3 over the last 45 years and wonder if anyone knows something about them. Apart from this one on this scabbard, I have seen them twice on navy dirks, also hanging from the suspension ring.

They are brown, good quality "cord" with a plaited/woven "ball"...also of good quality like the usual quality tassels seen on navy and army swords.

Anyone know anything?

Regards,.

post-470-0-86132500-1513142711_thumb.jpg

I have one coloured brown on a Shingunto housing a Gassan Sadakatsu blade.  It was attached to the sarute so I don't see how that could be a lock-strap - that could be one use, but I suspect there might be another aspect to it.

BaZZa.

I have one coloured brown on a Shingunto housing a Gassan Sadakatsu blade.  It was attached to the sarute so I don't see how that could be a lock-strap - that could be one use, but I suspect there might be another aspect to it.

BaZZa.

Does the gunto have a lock clip?

Maybe post-war mounted.

I wouldnt relie on a thin strap as a tassel, it has to be mounted onto the wrist. Do You have a picture of it?

Heres one more period photo

post-1265-0-26737300-1513167802_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..